Ok, I know this isn’t very Halloween-ish, but I just had to post this in my week of Halloween treats because it is just so darn good! After my first bite, my thought was “holy crap, this is really good!” and then I brought some over to my husband who said “whoa! It IS good!” In all honesty, this is probably one of my favorites that I’ll be posting this week, if not THE favorite.
These Warm Apple Fritter Cakes taste comforting from the cinnamon spice, slightly sweet from the apples and then of course have a buttery and brown crust. And then they are topped with this homemade caramel sauce. Excuse me while I pass out for a minute…..Let me tell you about this caramel sauce. I couldn’t believe how delicious and easy it was! If you try this out, you will never want to buy caramel sauce again! Delicious doesn’t even start to describe how this sauce tastes: sweet, creamy and dreamy! But, when you put the two together, ohmygoodgravy I don’t even know how to describe it! The combination is so so so so so so good!
You MUST make these right now. Yes, I said MUST! Bookmark this page, because your whole family will swoon over these little babies! Mine sure did! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to make more of these. (And, I’m not even kidding!)
Apple Fritter Cakes with Warm Caramel Sauce
Apple Fritter Cakes with Warm Caramel Sauce yield: 4 large servings
- for the apple fritter cakes--
- 2 large apples (any variety)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 tablespoons butter (for frying)
- for the warm caramel sauce--
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cream or whole milk
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Begin by peeling, coring and grating apples into a large bowl. You should yield approximately 2 cups. Into the apples, stir in milk, eggs and vanilla. Slowly stir in all dry ingredients until combined. Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Grease liberally with butter. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto hot surface. Once edges have browned, flip to cook other side (just like making pancakes). Remove hot cakes to a plate and cover with foil. Re-grease the pan with more butter and repeat until all the batter is cooked.
- To make the warm caramel sauce, melt butter and sugar together over medium heat while stirring occasionally. Let mixture simmer lightly until it starts to bubble and look foamy. Cook like this for 3-5 minutes. Stir in milk, salt and vanilla. Turn burner off, but leave caramel sauce on the hot stove until ready to serve. Pour into serving dish and serve with apple fritter cakes.