What did you eat for breakfast today? Was it healthy? Leave a comment! I had these Banana Bran Muffins with Oats! Here’s where this recipe idea came from:
I’ve been trying to implement healthier things here and there into my diet and bran popped into my brain a few days ago. After thinking of some exotic and untraditional things to do with it, I opted to first try a simple bran muffin with a few healthy additions: bananas and oats. I was fully expecting to bite into a dry tasteless muffin and was planning on a recipe redo. But one bite in, I knew it was a winner. These were moist and sweet muffins with a great texture! I thought the oats and bran together would really make it chewy and cardboard-like, but it was surprisingly smooth and delightful! People seem to associate bran muffins with something dry and gross. I mean, I’ve had my fair share of bran muffins gone bad, but could it be possible to make a moist and delicious bran muffin?
HECK YES IT’S POSSIBLE because I did it!
Delicious and healthy BRAN muffins! You can feel good eating them because they are high in fiber, low in fat, only 175 calories per muffin. (I calculated it myself!)
The bananas and sour cream keep the muffins moist and the cinnamon and vanilla enhances the flavor. In this recipe, I call for 1/2 cup of wheat germ. Wheat germ is not a common ingredient to have on hand, so you can substitute it out for ground flax or more all purpose flour. Also, the molasses is optional.
These muffins are great to make late one evening for a snack and then serving the rest for breakfast the next morning. They also freeze well as long as they are stored correctly. Just microwave until warm. It’s a quick and easy breakfast!
Make these muffins and start your day off right!
Banana Bran Muffins with Oats
- 1 cup Bran Cereal such As All Bran
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup whole grain quick oats
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- more whole grain quick oats for the tops
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 18 muffin tin cups with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In small bowl, mix bran cereal with milk. Set aside to soak.
- In large bowl, whip melted butter and brown sugar together. Stir in egg, vanilla extract, molasses, sour cream and mashed bananas.
- In medium bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients (everything else except the final listing for the 5 dashes of quick oats, which you’ll use for garnish). * Note: You can substitute more all purpose flour for wheat germ if you prefer.
- Into the creamed mixture, alternate stirring in some of the dry ingredients with some of the bran cereal/milk mixture until all is incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 way full. Sprinkle more oats over the top and bake 15-20 minutes, checking after 15. Be sure not to over bake! Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes and remove from tins.
- Serve warm with butter and jam.