This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Moist lemon cake laced with blueberries and topped with streusel, this is Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake! It’s so good, seriously make it soon! Or if you’re looking for my traditional coffee cake recipe <– see here!
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake | With a Crumb Topping
A few days ago, my mother-in-law purchased a rather large pack of fresh blueberries and didn’t know what to do with them. She asked me if I’d like some and I happily took them off her hands! What did I make with them? Of course a bazillion batches of my favorite blueberry muffins and then two lemon blueberry coffee cakes. And I still have some blueberries left! Into the freezer for them.
This Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake is another adaption, this time from the Pioneer Woman. Just a few days ago she posted a recipe for Blueberry Crumb Cake and I thought “It’s a sign! Something else to make to get rid of all these blueberries!” This recipe is delicious just on its own, but I just had to make a few changes and add in the lemon. I don’t know why I have this uncontrollable urge to add lemon to blueberry recipes I just do! It’s really a match made in heaven, lemon, and blueberries. Similar to peas and carrots. Or rice and beans. Or Lauren and Gordon! (Haha! Precious.) So, if you happen to run into some blueberries, snatch them up and make some of these yummy treats! They are sure to please!
Main Ingredients Needed
I know this list looks long but trust me everything here are simple pantry staples. Here’s everything you need to make this Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake:
- Butter – used for flavor and for moisture.
- Sugar – to sweeten the
- Cinnamon – warm and comforting spice to flavor the cake.
- Egg – used for structure and texture.
- Vanilla – for simple flavor.
- Flour – this fills out the cake.
- Baking Powder – this is our leavening agent.
- Salt – to balance out the sweet.
- Milk – used for moisture.
- Lemon Juice + Zest – I used both lemon juice and zest to bring all of that zing!
- Blueberries – I had fresh blueberries to use but feel free to use thawed frozen blueberries.
For the Topping
And for the oat topping you’re going to need a lot of the same ingredients as the cake, plus a couple more. Easy!
- Butter – melted! This holds the crumb topping together.
- Brown Sugar – to sweeten.
- Flour – this coats everything to help hold it together along with the butter.
- Oats – this brings some great texture.
- Lemon Zest – even more lemony goodness.
- Cinnamon – and even more comforting cinnamon spice.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
For full details on how to make Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake, see the recipe card down below 🙂
1. Preheat Oven + Prep
Preheat oven. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set it aside.
2. Make Cake Batter
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir and set aside.
Cream butter with cinnamon and sugar. Add egg and mix until combined. Add vanilla and mix. In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, stir milk together with lemon juice and zest. Add flour mixture and milk alternately until totally incorporated. Do not overbeat.
3. Top with Blueberries + Crumb Topping
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle fresh blueberries over the top of the cake.
In a separate bowl, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over the top of the cake.
4. Bake + Serve!
Bake cake until golden brown. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top, if desired. Cut into slices and serve.
Storing Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
Blueberry Coffee Cake can be stored at room temperature or in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days! This makes a great dessert or sweet breakfast which means you can enjoy it for a couple of days, if it lasts that long. I like to warm it up for a couple of seconds in the microwave to imitate that fresh-out-of-the-oven feel but this cake is equally as good cold.
More Blueberry Recipes to Try!
- Bakery-Style Blueberry Muffins
- Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
- Lemon Blueberry Bars
- Blueberry Scones with Almonds
- Lemon Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls
- Blueberry Hand Pies
If you loved this Blueberry Coffee Cake, let me know in the comments below! And while you’re at it check out all of my other blueberry recipes.
The printable recipe card is down below, enjoy 🙂
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder, and a salt. Stir and set aside.
- Cream butter with cinnamon and sugar. Add egg and mix until combined. Add vanilla and mix. In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, stir milk together with lemon juice and zest. Add flour mixture and milk alternately until totally incorporated. Do not over beat.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Pour in batter and smooth the top. Sprinkle fresh blueberries over the top of the cake.
- In a separate bowl, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over the top of the cake.
- Bake cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. (Mine was done after 45 at 325 degrees in my oven). Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top, if desired. Cut into slices and serve.