Talk about a summery and delicious treat! These double chocolate strawberry shortcakes were just the right amount of sweet, creamy and soft heavenly goodness. I love different textures in my food, so the light and fluffy cream with the juicy cold strawberries on top of the soft and chewy chocolate biscuit was perfect for me. Not over the top sweet either-how I like my desserts….except when I’m pregnant.
When it comes to chocolate, my husband wants it to be super sweet no matter what the context. These chocolate beds weren’t very sweet at all, so my husband thought that by themselves they were a little strange but the whipped cream and strawberries on top made a nice treat. It was a definite delicious change from the same old strawberry shortcakes!
If you are looking for a plain strawberry shortcake recipe, make my cinnamon buttermilk biscuits without the cinnamon. Top it just like these ones and thats it! Plain strawberry shortcakes! Equally delicious and just as easy to make.
Also, if you’re making these for a party or summer cook out, you can make everything in advance. You’d have to store the prepared and cooled biscuits in an air tight container and the strawberries in the fridge. Here’s a great tip too: if you pre whip your cream, it can sometimes deflate, leaving you with a big fat mess. You still can whip it in advance, just sprinkle in some corn starch! About 1 tablespoon for every cup of cream. Store it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve! I’ve done this so many times and it works like a charm. Oh! And a quick side note about the strawberries- I like mine plain, but if you stir in a little sugar then you end up getting a strawberry syrup along with your fruit. So, if you like the syrup with your strawberry shortcakes, then add a little sugar.
Double Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 oz. semi sweet chocolate cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup cold whole milk1 cup heavy cream
- 4-6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch optional1 pint strawberries, washed and sliced
- a few sprinkles of sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking sheet with non stick cooking spray and set aside. In large bowl, stir all dry ingredients together. Using a pastry cutter or fork, break up butter until coarse texture forms and there are little chunks of butter throughout. Stir in chocolate chunks and milk. Drop by the spoonful onto prepared pan. (I used a cookie scoop and made mini ones, but this should make 8 regular). Bake 8-10 minutes for mini ones and 10-14 minutes for the larger ones. Cool completely before topping with strawberries and cream.For the cream, whip heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and cornstarch together until firm peaks form. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.Cut chocolate biscuits in half horizontally and fill with cream and sliced strawberries. Top with more cream and strawberries and serve! YUM.