Super good and addictive comfort food right here! I love putting together a meal that I know will be hearty and filling. I found some plain macaroni pasta in my fridge and that is was triggered me to think of homemade mac & cheese. Originally, I never liked making macaroni and cheese from scratch because it takes so long and I don’t have the time or the patience. Well, problem solved with store bought alfredo sauce! It becomes your base that you add your cheeses and other goodies to to add layers of flavor. A great fall recipe for sure (and no pumpkin)!
Mac & Cheese
- 3/4 lb any short cut pasta I used a combination of macaroni and tri-color rotini
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup diced ham I used slices from the deli--about 2 or 3 oz
- 1 14.25 oz jar alfredo sauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup crushed original Ruffles chips
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to packaged directions. Set aside. In large pot, melt butter. Cook onions and ham until lightly browned; about 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat and add in Alfredo sauce. Swish milk in empty Alfredo sauce jar and pour into pot. Slowly stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese and all Swiss cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in cooked pasta. Pour into large baking dish. Top with crushed chips, Parmesan cheese and remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is melted. Serve hot.