This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Macro Friendly Jalapeno Cornbread Waffles
A new take on waffles! So so good in the morning with some scrambled egg whites and sugar free syrup. I know that sounds weird, but its an amazing savory-sweet mix I love! I take a shortcut from the store by using a pre-made cornbread mix and jazz it up with plain whey protein, milk, egg whites, creamed corn and some grated cheddar cheese and fresh jalapenos. Yum!
- 1 1/5 cups dry cornbread mix I used Marie Calendar's
- 1/2 cup creamed corn
- 4 tablespoons liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk I used fairlife
- 1/2 cup whey protein powder I used Bob's Red Mill
- 2 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 jalapeno finely chopped (add more or less, depending how spicy you like it)
- Preheat a Belgian waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk cornbread mix together with creamed corn, liquid egg whites, milk and protein powder without over beating. Gently fold in grated cheese and chopped jalapeno.
- Spray the hot waffle iron with cooking spray. Add 3/4 cup batter to the iron and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. The trick to keeping these tender (and not dry) is not overcooking them. Regular waffle batter takes several minutes, but this should be ready to go enjoy after 1 minute. It might take a little practice to get them to where you want them, but if they happen to be a little dry, add a little extra sugar free syrup. Yum!Recipe will make 4 waffles.
The more accurate macros for 1 serving (1 waffle) are as follows: 366 calories, 9 g F/47.3g C/19.3g P.
Calories: 330kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 587mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 462IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 209mg | Iron: 2mg