This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Why not turn that tasty protein pizza dough into a really tasty Calzone?! While I fill mine with
For the Dough:
- 1 cup fat free milk I use Fairlife high protein milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup collagen peptides 2 scoops of Vital Proteins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour I used King Arthur Flour
For the Filling:
- 4 tablespoons pizza sauce I used Great Value brand
- 4 oz shredded part skim mozzarella cheese I used Great Value brand
- 4 tablespoons sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons green bell pepper chopped
- 24 turkey pepperoni slices I used Hormel
- Italian seasoning optional
Make the Dough
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, warm milk in the microwave 20-30 seconds or until warm. Better to err on the side of not warm enough versus too warm. Stir in honey and active dry yeast and stir to dissolve. Set aside to proof 5-10 minutes.
- Pour yeast mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and with the mixer on low, add in the olive oil, collagen peptides, salt and one cup of the flour. The collagen peptides will bring the dough together much quicker than making a pizza dough without them. Go slow when it comes to adding the flour!
- After the flour has been stirred in, slowly incorporate more flour until the dough comes together and it's tacky but not sticky enough to stick to your hands and leave a residue. For me that was 2 1/4 cups. You might use more, you might use less.
- Spray dough and bowl with nonstick cooking spray and set aside to rise covered with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. It will rise slower than a normal pizza dough because it's more enriched because we're using milk and collagen peptides. Give it a good 90 minutes to 2 hours.
Make the Calzones
- To make your calzones, divide dough into 4 small dough balls and flatten to be 8 inch circles. Spread pizza sauce on one half of dough, top with 1 tablespoon mushrooms, 1 tablespoon peppers, 6 turkey pepperoni slices and 1 oz grated mozzarella cheese. Fold top half over and crimp the edges to seal. Cut 1-2 vents into the top, sprinkle with italian seasoning and place onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until crust has browned.
More accurate macros if using suggested brands as listed above for 1 serving (1 calzone): 447 calories, 10.8g F/56.9g C/ 27.2g P.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 740mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 282IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 1mg