This is the BEST Classic Meatloaf Recipe out there! Moist and delicious, this easy to make meatloaf will leave you wanting more.
You’re ten ingredients away from making the best Meatloaf ever. This is a classic recipe that is easy to make. If you’re hesitant, don’t worry, I’ll walk you through some common troubles people face when trying to make meatloaf and guide you through it. Plus I have some killer side dish recommendations to round out this protein-packed dinner.
First, let’s gather up our ingredients. Ten simple pantry staples are all it takes to make this divine meatloaf recipe.
- Olive Oil – this is used to saute the onions.
- Yellow Onion – if you want a stronger onion taste, try using white onions instead of yellow.
- Ground Beef – I used 90/10 here. Different fat contents cook differently so choose wisely. More information is down below on that.
- Bread Crumbs – plain breadcrumbs. You can also use Italian Breadcrumbs here if you don’t have plain on hand.
- Eggs – this is used for binding all the ingredients together.
- Milk – for moisture.
- Salt and Pepper – season to taste.
- Ketchup – for flavor and moisture.
- Worcestershire Sauce – more flavor and moisture.
- Parsley – to garnish.
Tips and Tricks
- Fat Content. There’s already enough ingredients that bring moisture to this meatloaf recipe so getting beef with a higher fat content is unnecessary. Stick to a 90/10 or leaner.
- Falling Apart. To keep your loaf from falling apart make sure you measure everything correctly. All of these binding ingredients (like breadcrumbs) are super important. Or you sliced into it while it was still piping hot. Let it rest for ten minutes before cutting.
- Overbaking. This can lead to a dry meatloaf. Use a meat thermometer to help determine when it’s done. More on that below.
How Long to Cook Meatloaf
The general rule of thumb here is to cook a meatloaf 30 minutes per pound of beef. This is at the oven temperature of 350 degrees. Cooking times will vary because no two ovens are alike. Plus the thinner and flatter you make your loaf the quicker it will cook.
I baked mine for about an hour, you may need more time. To check when your meatloaf is done, stick it with a meat thermometer. If it reads 160 degrees or more, you’re good to go. Overbaking can dry it out though, so watch it.
How to Make Meatloaf
- Preheat oven. Line half sheet pan with heavy-duty foil, spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in olive oil until tender and browned. Pour into a large bowl.
- To the onions, add in ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, milk, salt, pepper, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well until completely combined.
- Form into a long log on the prepared baking sheet and flatten the top. Spread with remaining ketchup.
- Bake until cooked thoroughly. Top with chopped parsley and serve.
Lucky for you, this meatloaf recipe saves well! Cover leftovers with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Besides measuring ingredients and mixing them together, the only other thing you have to do is saute onions. This is why this meatloaf recipe is such an easy one. It is perfect for any night of the week and can even be made ahead of time!
Simply mix the meat mixture together in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use. When you’re ready, uncover it and let it come to room temperature while the oven preheats. Form that log shape on a prepared pan and top it with the sauce right before baking.
Freeze This Meatloaf Recipe
You can also make this meatloaf recipe ahead of time by freezing after baking! With this method, it can last up to four months in the freezer.
Freeze. After baking, let your loaf cool to room temperature. Cover in foil, then seal it in a plastic freezer bag.
Reheat. Let thaw for 24 hours in your fridge before baking. Then bake at 350 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
What to Serve with This Meatloaf Recipe
The Best Meatloaf Recipe deserves to be served with the best side dishes. So I’ve rounded up a few that go perfectly with meatloaf.
Mashed Potatoes Recipe – for a hearty comforting meal pair with mashed potatoes.
Roasted Cauliflower Recipe – this is on the lighter side but is packed full of flavor.
Vegetable Rice Pilaf – basically flavored rice with vegetables, for a healthy balanced meal.
More Dinner Recipes to Try!
Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion diced
- 3 pounds ground beef (I used 90/10)
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups ketchup divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line half sheet pan with heavy-duty foil, spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in olive oil until tender and browned, about 10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl.
- To the onions, add in ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, milk, salt, pepper, 1 cup ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well until completely combined.
- Form into a long log on the prepared baking sheet and flatten the top. Spread with remaining ketchup and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until cooked thoroughly. Top meatloaf with chopped parsley and serve.