The best part of these bite size wonders is the almond-cream filling which was made from a random package of instant vanilla pudding that I forgot I bought and just found in the pantry! Awesome, right? Well, I can’t take full credit for this wonderful cream filling recipe (stole it from my mom 🙂 ), but it was my idea to put it in mini tarts and top them with fruit! And even minus the crust, topping any fresh fruit you have with this stuff is equally delicious!
Mini Fruit Tarts
- 2 pre-rolled refrigerated pie dough crusts
- 1 egg1 Tablespoon water
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Raspberries blueberries, strawberries or fruit of choice
- Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter (I used a flower shaped one), cut out circles of pie dough. Prick rounds with fork and place into mini-muffin tins. Whisk egg with water and brush over dough. Bake at temperature recommended for blind baking for about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.Whisk pudding and milk together until thickened. Set aside. In a clean dry bowl, whip cream until firm peaks form. Carefully fold cream, pudding and almond extract together. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.For assembly: Top cooled tarts with almond cream and fresh fruit of your choice. Raspberries and peaches are my favorite! Store in the fridge until ready to serve.