This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Macro Friendly Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 yellow onion cut into large pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 20 oz butternut squash cubed
- 15 oz pumpkin puree 1 can
- 32 oz chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning or sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 1/4 cup heavy cream optional, see notes
- large pot
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Melt butter and saute onion to lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and squash. Cook another 4 minutes.
- Add in pumpkin, chicken broth, salt, pepper, thyme, cumin, ginger, poultry seasoning and cinnamon. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cook 15-20 minutes or until squash is very tender.
- Transfer soup to a high powdered blender and puree until very smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. If it tastes bland, add more salt. The salt definitely brings out all the flavors from that long list of spices. Stir in maple syrup.
- Divide into four bowls and top with 1/2 tablespoon of pepitas and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream (optional). Serve hot.