Skinny White Chicken Chili
Yield 4-6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup low fat milk*
- 2 cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded**
- Any desired toppings: avocado, diced tomato, cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges, tortilla chips
- In large pot, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until softened and translucent, about 7 minutes on medium low heat.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook another minute.
- **Just as a side note, you don't want your pot screaming hot-you want things to cook gently so that they don't get too brown....unless you want brown chicken chili. We want WHITE chicken chili, so I take it easy on the temperature. I mean, either way, it'll still be delicious, but I know you're going to have questions!
- Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir. Cook 2 minutes. Raise temperature to medium-medium high. Slowly stream chicken broth into pot, whisking as you go. Continue stirring until sauce has boiled and thickened. Reduce heat to low.
- Add in spices, milk, beans, corn and chicken.
- At this point, the chili is done! Do not boil it once milk has been added.
- Serve with brown rice (optional) and any desired toppings.
*I use low fat milk to keep this recipe "skinny", but 1/2 cup of half and half (or heavy cream) is also AMAZING!! If you can find the fat free half and half, get that!
**I have started cooking a bunch of chicken in my pressure cooker, just to have something on hand. Rotisserie chicken or previously cooked/roasted chicken works well too! If you have raw chicken, simply throw the whole chicken breasts into the mixture to cook during step 4, before you add the milk. Simmer for about 15 minutes, then remove, shred, and finish the recipe.
Recipe by Lauren's Latest at https://laurenslatest.com/skinny-white-chicken-chili/