Spicy Gingerbread Cookies
Spicy gingerbread cookies boast slightly crunchy edges with a chewy center full of spicy ginger and cinnamon flavors.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup molasses or 1/4 cup for a milder flavor
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger or 1/2 teaspoon for a milder flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour or 2 cups if making the less spicy version
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling dough balls
Whip butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in molasses, egg and vanilla. Scrape sides of bowl and stir again.
In separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients and spices. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into butter mixture until thick, uniform dough has formed and no dry ingredients can be seen.
Place dough into refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove and scoop dough into tablespoons.
Roll into ball and toss in granulated sugar. Place two inches apart on greased baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes. Cool 3 minutes on baking sheet and remove to cooling rack. Store in air tight containers for up to 4 days. YUM!