Hungarian Chicken Paprikash Recipe
This Hungarian Chicken Paprikash recipe is a dinner that feels like home. Warm and comforting try my mom's recipe tonight. Enjoy!
Servings 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika not smoked, not spicy...just the plain stuff
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs skinned (4-6 pieces)
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes I used organic (1 can)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup fresh diced tomatoes preferably sweet ones--I used cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 cup mushrooms sliced
- lots of salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream I used light
In deep skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add in onion and saute 2 minutes.
Stir in paprika and cook 2 more minutes ensuring it doesn't burn! Careful!
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken pieces into the pan to brown each side (about 3 minutes per side)
Add in fresh and canned tomatoes, green peppers, salt, and pepper. Lightly simmer (covered) over medium-low heat for 45 minutes to 1-hour stirring and turning chicken occasionally
In the last 15 minutes of cooking add in mushrooms.
In a small bowl, stir sour cream and flour together until smooth. In the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, remove chicken and stir in sour cream mixture to thicken the sauce. Stir chicken back in to reheat. Once thoroughly heated through, serve hot over rice, pasta or nookedly.
-Once you add your paprika into the cooking onions, watch it carefully! It can burn easily!
-If you don't have canned tomatoes but you have fresh (or vice versa) you can easily substitute them for each other.
- This recipe needs lots of salt. Keep salting as you go, little by little. Before you serve it, do a taste test just to make sure its still good. After the sour cream is added, it tends to need a little more salt and pepper.
Calories: 594kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 196mg | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 813mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2090IU | Vitamin C: 37.5mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 3.1mg