Grandma's Potato Salad
Get this quintessential potato salad recipe, filled with boiled potatoes, onions, celery and tossed in a vinegary mayonnaise dressing. Easily adapt to how you like it best!
Servings 12 servings
- 12 Idaho potatoes
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes if you use fresh, add it in right before serving
- 1/2 large onion diced finely
- 5 ribs celery washed and diced
- 1 1/4 cups real mayonnaise use a full fat good quality one
- any extras: hard boiled eggs, bacon, dill, blue cheese, roasted red peppers, etc..
Boil (whole) potatoes until soft- a knife should be able to be inserted easily. Drain potatoes and let cool 20 minutes or so.
In a large bowl, combine water, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, parsley, onion and celery together. Set aside.
Peel warm potatoes (skin should come off really easily using a butter knife or spoon), cut into large cubes and place into vinegar mixture in bowl. Stir to coat warm potatoes in marinating liquid. Cover and refrigerate 12-24 hours.
Before serving, stir in mayonnaise and any extra ingredients you'd like (crumbled bacon, dill, boiled eggs, dill pickles, etc..). Keep cool until ready to serve.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 1046mg | Potassium: 947mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Vitamin C: 13.2mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1.9mg