This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Enjoy this soft, moist, and delicious Lemon Poppy Seed Bread made with healthier ingredients making this low fat and lower in processed sugar.
Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread… Running out of granulated sugar in the middle of a recipe is just a skill I’ve acquired over the years. It just happens because I think I have enough sugar and then dive into a recipe and BAM. Not enough sugar.
Why do I bring this up? Because that’s exactly what happened with this recipe that I’m sharing with you today. I had a small amount of sugar in my house unbeknownst to me and it was too late to go out and get more or have any delivered.
What is a girl to do?
Shuffle through her cabinets for anything remotely sweet to use in place of the sugar.
My shuffling worked! We were eating lemon poppyseed bread made with 1/2 cup sugar (and 1/2 cup maple syrup!) at 11:30 pm and by golly it was delicious. So delicious in fact that I made it, again and again, to make sure it wasn’t just a fluke. Plus, I needed way more lemon flavor in there to make it taste as zingy as I wanted it to.
The finished loaf is a moist, light, and lower fat version of the original, filled with lots of lemon zest and poppy seeds and then drizzled with a thick glaze made with powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice. Let’s get into it!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is moist, light, and lower in fat, filled with lots of lemon zest and poppy seeds, and then drizzled with a thick glaze made with powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice.
Main Ingredients Needed
Here’s what you’ll need to make this miraculous Lemon Poppy Seed Bread:
- All-Purpose Flour – this fills out the bread.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder – the leavening agents.
- Salt – to balance out flavors.
- Granulated Sugar – to sweeten.
- Real Maple Syrup – also to sweeten (see above) and it adds some maple flavor.
- Canola Oil – for moisture. Or vegetable oil.
- Unsweetened Apple Sauce – for moisture and adds a subtle apple taste.
- Eggs – for structure.
- Vanilla – for flavor.
- Lemon Extract – optional but highly recommended.
- Lemon Zest – I used 5 whole lemons to get the amount of zing that I love!
- Poppy Seeds – it wouldn’t be Lemon Poppy Seed Bread without poppy seeds!
- Powdered Sugar and Lemon Juice – these are to make the glaze! Optional but again, highly recommended.
Tips and Tricks
Making this recipe is relatively straight forward! But here are some tips and tricks to make your life easier. You’re welcome 🙂
- Light Colored Pans. My only notes would include using a lighter colored loaf pan (these are the ones I use, and love!) do it doesn’t get too dark too fast with the one hour cook time.
- Nonstick and Parchment Paper. Spraying the pan well with nonstick cooking spray so it slides out easily. Heck, if you’re really concerned, just line the pan with some parchment paper along with the nonstick. It’s not necessary, but definitely will give you peace of mine. It’ll pop right out!
- Eggs. Make sure your eggs are at room temperature.
Other than that, enjoy!!
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
This is a simple Lemon Poppy Seed Bread recipe, start out with your ingredients, mix them up. Then bake the batter in a loaf pan. Cool the loaf and as its cooling, prepare a simple lemon glaze. Then glaze it, slice it and enjoy! For the full recipe, check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Preheat oven. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together: flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and granulated sugar. Create a well in the middle of the ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients: maple syrup, oil, apple sauce, eggs, extracts, and lemon zest. Stir the center of wet ingredients first before starting to incorporate the wet into the dry. Stir until dry ingredients are just combined. Add in poppy seeds and stir again gently.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan before removing to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Glaze
What makes this Lemon Poppy Seed Bread even more delectable is the glaze that tops it all off! While the loaf is cooling prepare the glaze.
- For the glaze, stir powdered sugar together with just enough lemon juice to create a thick glaze the consistency of white school glue.
- Drizzle generously over loaf and enjoy!
Any leftover Lemon Poppy Seed Bread can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. To lengthen its shelf life store in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to a week!
Freezing Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Try doubling this Lemon Poppy Seed Bread recipe! Enjoy one loaf now and store the other in the freezer for later.
To Freeze. Skip the glaze and wrap in plastic wrap, then put the loaf into a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 4 months!
To Thaw. Transfer the loaf from the freezer to the fridge, allow to thaw overnight. Transfer to the counter and let it come to room temperature. Then glaze it, slice it and enjoy!
More Lemon Recipes to Love!
- Lemon Cream Puffs
- Lemon Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Cream Pie
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Perfect Lemon Bar Recipe
Do as I say, not as I do. Read the whole Lemon Poppy Seed Bread recipe before starting and make sure you have everything on hand 😉
Printable recipe card is below. Have a great day, friends!! xo
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract optional, but recommended
- 1/4 cup lemon zest 5 lemons for me!
- 1 tablespoon poppyseed
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together: flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and granulated sugar. Create a well in the middle of the ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients: maple syrup, oil, apple sauce, eggs, extracts, and lemon zest. Stir the center of wet ingredients first before starting to incorporate the wet into the dry. Stir until dry ingredients are just combined. Add in poppyseed and stir again gently.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in the pan before removing to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- For the glaze, stir powdered sugar together with just enough lemon juice to create a thick glaze the consistency of white school glue. Drizzle generously over loaf and enjoy!