This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Need a change from regular old hot chocolate? Try Mexican Hot Chocolate! Creamy, sweet and spicy, this Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe tastes absolutely divine. Grab some hot chocolate mix, spice it up with cinnamon and nutmeg and enjoy with warm and comforting drink. Delicious enjoyed with Gingerbread Cookies or Christmas Crack (my favorite!)
But First, What is Mexican Hot Chocolate?
Mexican Hot Chocolate is similar to regular hot chocolate but is made with Mexican chocolate and spices.
My recipe that I’m sharing today isn’t traditional in the least, but tastes just as delicious and is much simpler to throw together in a pinch. Made with powdered hot chocolate mix and spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, you too will fall in love with Mexican Hot Chocolate. Whether you’re enjoying a traditional version or my recipe below, you will love the warmth, spice and complexity this hot chocolate brings.
Main Ingredients Needed
You don’t need much to make Mexican Hot Chocolate! With the hot cocoa mix, spices, milk, and a couple of minutes and you’ll have an incredible cold-weather drink to warm you up. Here’s what you need:
- Milk – this is the base of your hot cocoa. For a thicker consistency and a creamier hot chocolate, use whole milk.
- Hot Chocolate Mix – this recipe is made easy with hot chocolate mix! Use store-bought stuff or make homemade hot chocolate mix.
- Cinnamon + Nutmeg – these two complimentary spices are what gives this hot cocoa its spicy notes. So good!
- Mini Marshmallows – some sweet soft marshmallows to top it all off. Again, these aren’t traditional for Mexican Hot Chocolate, but I have kids and this is how we make it.
How to Make Mexican Hot Chocolate | Directions
Mexican Hot Chocoalte is ridiculously easy to make and takes under 5 minutes in the microwave. Yes, I said microwave! I don’t want to dirty a pot I have to wash if I can just dirty a cup instead! For full details see the recipe card down below.
Step 1: Heat the Milk
In a large mug or liquid measuring cup, heat the milk in the microwave until very hot, about 2 minutes. You want it steaming hot, but not simmering.
Step 2: Stir in the Hot Chocolate Mix
Whisk the hot chocolate mix into the milk until its completely dissolved and there are no lumps. If your milk isn’t hot enough, the hot chocolate mix won’t dissolve completely in which case you’ll want to microwave another 30 seconds to 1 minutes more.
Step 3: Add the Spices
Whisk in cinnamon and nutmeg to the hot chocolate. Divide between two mugs and top with mini marshmallows and serve.
Feel free to find a cookie, some more chocolate, or some other snacks to eat alongside Mexican Hot Chocolate. Yummy holiday treats make me happy 🙂 Here are a few ideas!
- dusting more cinnamon on the top!
- whipped cream
- chocolate shavings
- sea salt
- caramel sauce
- cayenne pepper (this certainly heats things up!)
More Christmas Drinks to Try!
- Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Horchata from House of Nash Eats
- Non-Alcoholic Moscow Mule (Ginger Beer Mocktail)
- Classic Holiday Mocktail
So, give this Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe a whirl after a long day of shoveling snow and get cozy with a blanket by the fire. Just thinking about that makes me relaxed already. Ahhhh…….
The printable recipe card is below, enjoy and Happy Holidays 🙂
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups milk
- 2 packet hot chocolate mix
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- mini marshmallows optional
- In a large mug, heat milk in the microwave to be hot.
- Stir in hot chocolate mix, cinnamon and nutmeg until dissolved.
- Top with marshmallows and serve.