This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lemon Cranberry Coffee Cake is a light dessert topped with homemade whipped cream! Perfect for leftover cranberries from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
I am posting this Lemon Cranberry Coffee Cake recipe because around this time of year, I usually pick up a nice big bag of fresh cranberries to make cranberry sauce. Except, I always make a small batch thus leaving me with lots of leftover fresh cranberries that I have no clue what to do with. Well, this year I got a head start on that big bag of cranberries and make a cake. Not just any cake–a delicious and refreshing coffee cake with lots of lemons and whipped cream. It’s really dreamy, creamy and delicious. When I made this for our family dinner dessert last week, it got eaten up! Devoured! Inhaled! And, thank goodness it’s gone because I would have eaten all the rest. I’m that kind of person, you know. Addicted to food, remember?
Usually, about now I try to explain how to make the cake, except today I’m going to take a walk on the wild side and say: just make this pronto….and eat the whole thing. Because it’s good. And soooo worth the calories. Promise. 🙂 Happy Weekend!
PS- You MUST make fresh whipped cream to go with this. There is no other way.
Fresh Cranberry & Lemon Coffee Cake
for the cake:
for the filling:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix fresh cranberries with sugar and set aside.
- In a different bowl, incorporate butter into dry ingredients for the topping until large crumbs form and it resembles sand. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whip butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed and stir in eggs, 1 at a time, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Whip 30 seconds, scrape down sides and whip again for another 30 seconds. Sift all dry ingredients together and pour lemon juice into milk. With mixer on low, alternate wet and dry ingredients until everything is just combined. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix again briefly. Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Top with cranberry mixture. Spread remaining batter over cranberries and sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until top starts to brown and toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Remove from oven and cool. Store in an air tight container for up to 4 days. Serve with fresh whipping cream.