This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Macro Friendly Lasagna
For the Tomato Sauce:
For the Cheese Layer:
- 2 cups fat free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- salt & pepper to taste
- 12 oz reduced fat grated mozzarella cheese I used Lucerne (Safeway) brand
- 1 pound lasagna noodles You will need 15 sheets total which is just shy of one pound
- 9×13 casserole dish
Make the Sauce:
- Spray large pot with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add ground beef, salt and pepper and break apart as it starts to brown. Once it is broken up but not cooked completely, add in onions and garlic. Cook 5 minutes until onions are tender.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil and oregano. Let the tomato paste start to brown at the bottom of the pot but not burn. Once its starting to get a little color on the bottom of the pan, add in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes with 1 cup cold water. Add in more salt, pepper, truvia and bay leaves. Simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring every few minutes, until it gets thick and concentrated in flavor. Feel free to add in a little extra water if its scorching on the bottom.
Cook the Pasta:
- While Tomato sauce is cooking, bring another large pot with salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna pasta sheets for 3/4 of the time listed on package directions. Drain and set aside. (I like to spray a half sheet pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray and lay the noodles out flat.)
Make the Cheese Layer:
- In a medium bowl, stir cottage cheese and parmesan cheese together with egg white, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Assembling the Lasagna:
- Lightly spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Remove bay leaves from sauce and discard. Spread about 1/2 cup of sauce across the bottom. Top with 5 lasagna sheets. I lay 4 across lengthwise, overlapping them and them cut the 5th to fit across the bottom. Top with half the cheese mixture and 4 oz grated mozzarella cheese. Top with 1/3rd of the sauce.Repeat again with a layer of 5 lasagna noodles, remaining cheese mixture, 4 of mozzarella cheese and 1/3rd of the sauce. Top your lasagna with remaining noodles, remaining sauce and remaining cheese.
- Just so we're clear, this is the order you will layer your lasagna:a little sauce-noodles-cheese-mozzarella-sauce-noodles-cheese-mozzarella-sauce-noodles-sauce-mozzarella.
- Cover lightly with foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Cut into 12 even squares and serve.