This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
You know how I’m doing this whole weight loss thing? Yeah, it’s really hard to do when you think about cake 24/7. …not that I’m speaking from experience or anything. AHEM. Anyways, I made this cake the other day that wasn’t completely destined to kill my diet. #yippityskippity #shockerIknow
Angel food cake is basically egg whites, sugar and a bunch of air. How do I know this? Because I’ve made a few of these from scratch in my day. Also, you take a bite of one of these suckers and it feels like you’ve eaten nothing. So you proceed to eat until, well, no comment.
To add a little creamy goodness to said angel food cake, I simply mixed a little fat free cool whip together with some sugar free lemon pudding and used this as a frosting to completely cover the cake. I topped the whole thing with fresh raspberries and a sprinkling of powdered sugar and shoveled the whole thing into my piehole. Ok, almost the whole thing. And, I still felt hungry afterwards. But, at least my sweet tooth craving was satisfied. Hallelijah. And all was good in the world.
Feel free to make one of these cakes using real cream and non-sugar free lemon pudding. It would taste better, but be a butt load more calories. Totes up to you. If I was -42 pounds, then I would definitely make this with the real shtuff. Go figure. Anyways, here’s how you make it:
Start by whisking some sugar free lemon pudding into 1 1/2 cups cold milk. After a minute or two, it should be smooth and thick.
Then grab some of this stuff… and fold it into the pudding to create a light and fluffy mixture.
Now comes the cake part! Grab a store bought or homemade angel food cake.
Slice it into 3 even layers and fill each layer with that lemony mixture.Spread more of it around the edges, top with raspberries and sprinkle with a little powdered sugar! Voila! Cake. Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve and that’s it 🙂
Here’s the printable. Enjoy your weekend!
Lemon Angel Food Cake
- 1 angel food cake store bought or homemade
- 1 small box sugar free lemon pudding
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1 tub fat free cool whip defrosted
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- Place angel food cake onto serving platter. Slice evenly into 3 layers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk pudding mix and cold milk together for 2 minutes until smooth and thickened. Fold in cool whip. Spread about 1 cup of this mixture overtop the 1st layer of angel food cake. Top with 2nd layer of cake, another cup of lemon cool whip mixture and the top layer of cake.
- Use remaining lemon cool whip mixture to frost the outside of the cake and top with raspberries. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.