This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This chewy Scotcharoos (or ScotchEroos) recipe is a CLASSIC no-bake dessert featuring a creamy peanut buttery Rice Krispies cereal base topped with chocolate and butterscotch. These will FLY off your table. Looking for another no-bake favorite? Try my No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars.
Why You’ll Love This Scotcharoo Recipe
Besides being addictively delicious, Scotcharoos are chewy, yet soft dessert bars with chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, and Rice Krispies. This no-bake recipe was originally printed on the Rice Krispies box in the 1960s. Nowadays, almost everyone seems to have a version of the recipe in their recipe collection and is still just as popular as it was way back when. Scotcharoos are not only a breeze to make but also guaranteed to disappear fast at any gathering. Whether it’s a family picnic or a potluck with friends, this classic treat is sure to steal the show.
Ingredients Needed for Scotcharoos
This easy dessert uses just a few simple ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Light Corn Syrup: Adds sweetness and helps bind the ingredients.
- Granulated Sugar: Provides sweetness and structure to the bars.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Adds nutty flavor and creamy texture.
- Rice Krispies Cereal: Gives the bars their signature crunch.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: Melts into a chocolatey layer.
- Butterscotch Chips: Infuse a delightful butterscotch flavor.
Scotcharoos Recipe Variations
- Use a different nut butter: Swap out the peanut butter for almond or cashew butter for a different flavor profile.
- Gluten-free: Use gluten-free crispy rice cereal for a gluten-free version.
- Add Sea Salt: Add a sprinkle of sea salt on top for a sweet and salty twist.
- Go with different chocolate chips: Feel free to use dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips.
How to Make Scotcharoos
These delicious little gems come together in about 15 minutes plus time for them to set and firm up. It’s important to remember to not place them in the fridge. Keep them at room temperature unless you want to break a tooth. For full recipe details, see the recipe card down below. But this is quite literally the easiest recipe to remember. I always say in my head (cup-a, cup-a, cup-a) because that’s the measurement for every ingredient (1 cup), plus 6 cups of Rice Krispies. Here is what you can expect when making this recipe:
Prepare a 13x9x2 pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Pro Tip: (Optional) For easier cutting, line the dish with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides for easy removal.
Make Peanut Butter Mixture
Place 1 cup corn syrup and sugar in a medium pot over medium heat and bring JUST to a boil, stirring frequently. As soon as it comes to a boil, REMOVE from heat. Stir in peanut butter until thoroughly melted through.
Add Rice Krispies to a Large Bowl
Measure out your Rice Krispies into a large mixing bowl.
Pour peanut butter and sugar mixture over Rice Krispie cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated. Work quickly.
Evenly Press into Dish
Press Rice Krispie mixture into the prepared pan. Press down with oiled fingers to an even layer, pressing all the way into the corners.
Make the Chocolate Butterscotch Topping
Combine chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until melted, stirring constantly. You could also do this in the microwave (with a microwave-safe bowl) or in a double boiler.
Pour Chocolate Butterscotch Topping over the Rice Krispies
Pour melted chocolate and butterscotch topping over top Rice Krispies mixture. Spread evenly with an offset spatula.
Let Sit + then Serve
Let sit for about an hour before cutting into 12 squares and serving at room temperature.
Pro Tip: Don’t refrigerate Scotcharoos, as it can cause them to become too hard.
Store Scotcheroo bars in an airtight container or wrap tightly with plastic wrap at room temperature. These will stay fresh for 3-4 days before starting to get a little dry.
To freeze: Freeze squares of Scotcharoos in layers with parchment paper in between. Use a freezer safe, airtight container and these will stay fresh up to 2-3 months. Thaw at room temperature when ready to serve.
FAQ’s About Scotcharoos
Yes! Freeze squares of Scotcharoos in layers with parchment or wax paper in between. Use a freezer safe, airtight container and these will stay fresh up to 2-3 months. Thaw at room temperature when ready to serve.
This is probably the most common problem people run into when making these…dry and hard Scotcharoos. The usual reason is that you cooked the corn syrup and sugar too long. It’s important to watch closely and remove from heat as soon as you see that the sugar has dissolved.
Absolutely! Scotcharoos can be made a day or two in advance and stored in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Try These Other Family Favorite Dessert Bar Recipes…
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
- S’mores Bars
- Magic Bars
- Butterfinger Nutter Butter Cheesecake Bars
- Caramel Snickerdoodle Bars
Get ready to impress with these irresistible Scotcharoos – your new favorite dessert! The printable recipe card is below. Be sure to save, print, bookmark or share this recipe and keep it handy! Have a great week, friends! 🙂
If you make this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you would give it a star rating and leave your review in the comments! If you have a picture of your finished dish, post it on Instagram using the hashtag #laurenslatest and tagging me @laurens_latest.
- Prepare a 13x9x2 dish with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place corn syrup and sugar in a medium pot over medium heat and bring JUST to a boil, stirring frequently. As soon as it comes to a boil, REMOVE from heat. Stir in peanut butter until thoroughly melted through.
- Measure our your Rice Krispies into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over Rice Krispies and stir until evenly coated. Work quickly.
- Press Rice Krispies mixture into dish and press down with oiled fingers to even it out, pressing all the way into the corners.
- Combine chocolate chips and butterscotch chips In a separate pot. Heat over medium/low heat until melted, stirring constantly.
- Once melted, pour melted chips over top Rice Krispies mixture. Spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Let sit for about an hour before cutting into 12 squares and serving at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.