This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Scotcharoos (or ScotchEroos) recipe is a CLASSIC no-bake dessert featuring a chewy peanut buttery Rice Krispies base topped with chocolate and butterscotch. These will FLY off your table. Looking for another no-bake favorite? Try my No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars.
But Wait, What are Scotcharoos?
Besides being addictively delicious, Scotcheroos are chewy, yet soft dessert bars with chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, and Rice Krispies. This no-bake recipe was originally printed on the Rice Krispies box in the 1960s. Nowadays, almost everyone seems to have a version of the recipe in their recipe collection and is still just as popular as it was way back when.
How to Make Scotcharoos
These delicious little gems come together in about 15 minutes plus time for them to set and firm up. It’s important to remember to not place them in the fridge. Keep them at room temperature unless you want to break a tooth. For full recipe details, see the recipe card down below. But this is quite literally the easiest recipe to remember. I always say in my head (cup-a, cup-a, cup-a) because that’s the measurement for every ingredient (1 cup), plus 6 cups of Rice Krispies. Here is what you can expect when making this recipe:
Prepare a 13x9x2 dish with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
Make Peanut Butter Mixture
Place corn syrup and sugar in a medium pot over medium heat and bring JUST to a boil, stirring frequently. As soon as it comes to a boil, REMOVE from heat. Stir in peanut butter until thoroughly melted through.
Add Rice Krispies to a Large Bowl
Measure out your Rice Krispies into a large mixing bowl.
Pour peanut butter mixture over Rice Krispies and stir until evenly coated. Work quickly.
Evenly Press into Dish
Press Rice Krispies mixture into dish and press down with oiled fingers to even it out, pressing all the way into the corners.
Make the Chocolate Butterscotch Topping
Combine chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a separate pot. Heat over medium/low heat until melted, stirring constantly. You could also do this in the microwave or in a double boiler.
Pour Chocolate Butterscotch Topping over the Rice Krispies
Once melted, pour over top Rice Krispies mixture. Spread evenly with an offset spatula.
Let Sit + then Serve
Let sit for about an hour before cutting into 12 squares and serving at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
Why are My Scotcharoos so Dry?
This is probably the most common problem people run into when making these..dry and hard Scotcharoos. The usual reason is that you cooked the corn syrup and sugar too long. It’s important to watch closely and remove from heat as soon as you see that the sugar has dissolved.
Store Scotcharoos in an airtight container at room temperature. These will stay fresh for 3-4 days before starting to get a little dry.
Can I freeze Scotcharoos?
Yes! Freeze squares of Scotcharoos in layers with parchment or wax paper in between. Use a freezer safe, airtight container and these will stay fresh up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature when ready to serve.
Love Scotcharoos? Try These Other Dessert Bar Recipes…
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
- S’mores Bars
- Magic Bars
- Butterfinger Nutter Butter Cheesecake Bars
- Caramel Snickerdoodle Bars
I hope you love these as much as we do! The recipe card is below. Be sure to save, print, bookmark or share this recipe and keep it handy! Have a great weekend, friends! 🙂
- 1 cup corn syrup light
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- 1 cup peanut butter creamy
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Prepare a 13x9x2 dish with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place corn syrup and sugar in a medium pot over medium heat and bring JUST to a boil, stirring frequently. As soon as it comes to a boil, REMOVE from heat. Stir in peanut butter until thoroughly melted through.
- Measure our your Rice Krispies into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over Rice Krispies and stir until evenly coated. Work quickly.
- Press Rice Krispies mixture into dish and press down with oiled fingers to even it out, pressing all the way into the corners.
- Combine chocolate chips and butterscotch chips In a separate pot. Heat over medium/low heat until melted, stirring constantly.
- Once melted, pour melted chips over top Rice Krispies mixture. Spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Let sit for about an hour before cutting into 12 squares and serving at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
we use 3 C peanut butter & cook the Karo syrup & sugar until just before it comes to a boil , then add peanut butter & 4 C rice crispy cereal.
Hi Lauren. I was reading over your recipe for Scotcharoos and noticed the ingredients looked very familiar. So got out my recipe box and found my recipe for Cocoa Rice Krispies. I can spread them in a 9 x 13 pan but I usually spread them on a buttered cookie sheet. Then spread the melted chips on the bar and roll up like a jelly roll. Let sit on counter to firm up and slice them. I’ve had this recipe for many, many years. Maybe I got it off the rice krispie box. Very good bars. I would wrap each slice in saran wrap and freeze and put in their lunch box for school. I now do this for my grandchildren.
Donna, that recipe sounds like a winner! Thank you for sharing! 🙂