This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Macro Friendly Beef and Farro Soup
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 whole carrots peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery
- 1.25 pounds extra lean ground beef 96/4
- salt & pepper to taste
- 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes 1 can
- 8 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix 1 oz
- 2 cubes beef bouillon or use other bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup farro
- Spray a large pot with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add in onion, carrots, celery, ground beef, salt and pepper. As meat cooks, break it apart into small pieces. After 5-7 minutes beef should be completely cooked.
- Add in tomatoes, water, onion soup mix, bouillon and seasonings. Add in more salt and pepper if desired. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer 20 minutes.
- 30 minutes before serving, stir in farro grains and cook until chewy and soft.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.