Easy Taco Casserole Recipe: grab some chicken, egg noodles, taco seasoning and a whole lot of cheese to make this simple and delicious casserole dinner. Mom and kid approved!
Happy Tuesday, friends!
I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for a couple days now, but things keep getting in the way!! And by things I mean children. Mine, specifically.
I love them to pieces, but it’s really hard for me to form sentences on a page when they’re all REALLY good at:
- throwing toys
- scaling the triple bunk bed
- dumping buckets of legos on our hardwood floors (our poor downstairs neighbors)
- running back and forth between my bedroom and theirs (the bedrooms are basically 10 feet apart)
- asking for snacks
- screaming from the bathroom asking for tushies to be wiped
- picking out trash from the garbage bin and scattering it around the apartment
- playing in toilet water
- eating hand sanitizer
Never a dull moment, folks.
So here I sit, writing to my internet friends in a now semi-quiet, relatively clean apartment about to discuss the complexities of Taco Casserole and the benefits of eating it for dinner tomorrow.
My life is so weird.
ANYWAYS. I made this recipe a few days ago because I needed to make dinner and I didn’t know what to make. A typical problem to have. After scouring my pantry and my fridge multiple times, a few ingredients kept popping out at me and before I knew it, this recipe was basically making itself.
So, the basic ingredients are: egg noodles, chicken, cheese, corn, green chiles and chili cheese corn chips. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Top all your casseroles with crushed chips of any kind and your kids will devour it. Doritos, Fritos, Ruffles, Cheetos, you name it. I’m not picky.
For this casserole, I used the chili cheese corn chips (which are basically flavored Fritos if you aren’t familiar) because I thought their taste would lend themselves well to the overall taste of the casserole. Plus, I like the texture of the crushed corn chips slightly better than crushed Doritos…but don’t tell Brooke that.
The base of this casserole is a roux based sauce made with oil, flour and chicken stock. I flavor the basic sauce with lots of taco seasonings and a little extra salt and pepper and then finish it by stirring in some half and half. Toss everything together with the egg noodles, chicken and cheese and bake.
Quite a simple dinner that is easy enough to pull off on a weeknight.
As usual, if you have any questions regarding this or any other recipe, please leave me a comment so I can reply back 🙂
Below are a few photos I took, as well as the recipe card and a few recipe tips! Have a great day.
Here’s how to make this Easy Taco Casserole Recipe:
Helpful Links and Tips
(some affiliate links below)
Because this is a casserole, I cooked it completely on the stovetop and then baked it with some extra cheese. That is an extra step! Feel free to serve this as a “stove-top casserole” and just top each individual portion with extra cheese and crushed chips.
This is the casserole dish I used and I love love love it!
I also used rotisserie chicken I had shredded and stored in my freezer. Feel free to make this vegetarian and leaving it out OR cook the chicken with the onions at the very start of this recipe.
I got a few messages on Instagram stories about the mascara I mentioned a few weeks back. It can be found here and it helped make my lashes seem longer, right after I got my eyelash extensions removed! I’ve been using it ever since 🙂 I know that has nothing to do with the recipe, but totally worth mentioning again. I love the stuff.
Easy Taco Casserole Recipe
Yield 6 servings
Grab some chicken, egg noodles, taco seasoning and a whole lot of cheese to make this simple and delicious casserole dinner. Mom and kid approved!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- 1-4 oz. can fire-roasted mild diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1 oz. packets mild taco seasoning
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup half & half
- 12 oz. wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1-4.5 oz. bag chili cheese corn chips, crushed
- chives & cilantro, optional
- Bring large pot of water to boil over high heat. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease oval (or 9x13) casserole dish and set aside.
- Add egg noodles to boiling water and stir. Cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, melt butter in large pot over medium to medium hight heat. Saute onion 3 minutes or until it starts to turn translucent. Stir in corn and green chiles. Add in flour and whisk to incorporate. This will take a good 30 seconds of stirring. Slowly whisk in chicken broth to ensure a smooth sauce.
- Whisk in taco seasoning, salt (if desired) and pepper. Boil to thicken, then reduce heat to low. Stir in half & half. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add egg noodles, black olives and half of the cheese into the sauce. Stir in chopped chives and/or cilantro if desired.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle crushed corn chips over the top and garnish with chives and/or chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.