This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Ultimate Double Chocolate Pie Recipe is like fudge in an Oreo shell – super chocolaty, rich, decadent, and SO yummy. Unapologetically addicting.
Chocolate Pie Recipe
I decided to bring this old Chocolate Pie Recipe back from the dark ages of my blog, reshoot it with step-by-step photos and share it with you BECAUSE this is the pie I made for my husband when I was crushing on him hardback in our college days. This is the very first thing I made for him that he tried and lemmetellyou, that was a good decision. At that very early stage in our relationship, I didn’t know how much of a chocoholic he was, but I’m almost positive it sealed my fate as his wife. Now, years later, we still are very much in love with each other…and this pie.
Main Ingredients Needed
I truly wish I came up with this pie on my own, but it’s a recipe that my Mom’s friend found in an old Homemaker’s magazine. It uses lots of common ingredients and comes together relatively quickly. You will need to let this set on the counter and then in the fridge, but once the waiting is over, you will be shocked at how good it is. Do not be deceived by the simple look that this pie has. You will have monumental results if used in the correct fashion. It worked wonders for me! So, here is my beloved pie recipe. Find someone you love to enjoy this with!
- Oreo Crumbs and Melted Butter – you can always buy oreo cookie crumbs if you don’t want to make them yourself or just buy the store-bought crust, though homemade tastes 2 million times better. Just sayin’.
- Egg Yolks – your pie will NOT set if you do not thicken the cream and egg mixture long enough. If you are unsure whether or not the mixture is thick enough, continue cooking for another 5 minutes ensuring the water in your double boiler is at a simmer. This should continue to thicken the mixture. (Even if your pie doesn’t set, it’s still ridiculously delicious!)
- Heavy Cream – this helps create a silky smooth texture.
- Granulated Sugar – to sweeten even more.
- Salt – to balance out the sweet taste.
- Vanilla Extract – for flavor.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – we use almost an entire full package here, so plan accordingly.
- Whipped Cream – either get some store-bought kind or make Homemade Whipped Cream.
How to Make Chocolate Pie
- Mix oreo crumbs and melted butter together until moist. Press into a 9-inch pie plate. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Separate eggs. Lightly stir yolks and set aside.
- Heat cream in a double boiler over simmering water until scalded. Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Stream some hot cream into yolks to temper. Stir tempered egg yolks into a double boiler with remaining cream. Cook over the double boiler, whisking occasionally until it starts to thicken and coat a spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and chocolate chips. Hello, perfectly gorgeous filling! Someone pass me a spoon.
- Pour into the prepared shell and cool to room temperature.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on filling and refrigerate 4-6 hours to overnight until the pie is completely set and chilled.
- You’ll know it’s set when the plastic wrap peels off completely clean.
- Cut into pieces and serve with whipped cream.
This Chocolate Pie Recipe is perfect for leftovers because it is best served cold! Which also means, it’s the perfect make-ahead recipe too!!! When saving for later, make sure to cover with plastic wrap to avoid the filling from drying out. By doing this, the pie should stay good for up to four days in your refrigerator.
Even More Chocolate Pie Recipes!
- Double Chocolate Pie Recipe
- Chocolate Dirt Pie Recipe
- White Chocolate Cheesecake Pecan Pie Tarts
- Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
As you can probably tell by these photos, this chocolate pie recipe is really decadent and rich which makes it *THE* perfect pie for Valentine’s Day. Print this one out and make it again and again. You won’t be sorry!
Follow laurens_latest on Instagram and show me what recipes you are making from this blog! Use the hashtag #laurenslatest! I want to see what you’re making
Ultimate Double Chocolate Pie Recipe
for the crust-
- 2 cups OREO cookie crumbs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Mix oreo crumbs and melted butter together until moist. Press into 9-inch pie plate. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Separate eggs. Lightly stir yolks and set aside.
- Heat cream in a double boiler over simmering water until scalded. Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stream some hot cream into yolks to temper. Stir tempered egg yolks into a double boiler with remaining cream. Cook over the double boiler, whisking occasionally until it starts to thicken and coat spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and chocolate chips. Pour into prepared shell and cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap directly on filling and refrigerate 4-6 hours to overnight until plastic wrap comes off clean and pie is completely set and chilled. Cut into pieces and serve with whipped cream.