This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Macro Friendly Egg Noodle Lasagna
- 12 oz wide egg noodles I used No Yolks
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef 96/4
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups marinara sauce I used 1 jar Classico Fire Roasted Tomato and Garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning optional, see notes
- 8 leaves fresh basil chopped
For the Cheese Layer
- 2 cups 2% cottage cheese low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Cook egg noodles according to package directions and drain. Spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add the noodles and set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, spray a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and cook onions and ground beef over medium heat, breaking apart the meat as it cooks. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add in tomato paste and stir into the meat. Add marinara sauce, rinse out the jar with 1/2 cup water (really minimal water because you want to keep this sauce thick) and add it to the pan. Taste and add italian seasoning if you think you need it. If you're using a sauce you like, you probably won't need it. Simmer on low heat until you're ready to layer up your noodles.
- For the cheese layer, stir cottage cheese together with 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- To assemble, spread the cheese layer evenly over the warm noodles in the baking dish. Stir the chopped, fresh basil into the hot sauce and spoon that over the cheese layer. Spread as evenly as possible over the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Spray a piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Once Egg Noodle Lasagna has baked, let it cool 10 minutes before slicing into 8 even pieces and serving. Top with more fresh basil if desired and serve.