Enjoy this Savory Scone Recipe for breakfast, lunch, as a snack or appetizer! Green onions with swiss and parmesan all within flakey scones.
On Friday afternoon, my sister and I wanted to make something easy and delicious to go along with our lunches. So, we looked in the fridge and came up with this Green Onion Savory Scone Recipe. They are so light and fluffy, with a hint of onion! Delicious just with butter or turned into itty bitty sandwiches. We made a bunch of small scones and thought they were too cute….and just the right size–probably 3 Lauren bites, 1 Gordon bite.
How to Make Savory Scones
I know these sound fancy, but believe me they are so easy to make. It’s just like a typical biscuit method: combine the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, and then mix with milk and other add in’s. I cut mine out into circles because I picked up some cute little cutters I wanted to try, but feel free to drop them on the pan with two spoons if you don’t have the time. Seriously, cute little scones for 10 minutes of work! Pop them in the oven and that’s it! For full recipe details check out the recipe card down below!
- Preheat oven. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut butter into dry ingredients until it is similar to coarse meal. Stir in cheeses, green onions, and milk until moist.
- Flour board, and roll dough out. it will be sticky if you don’t use enough flour. Cut into small circles and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops with cream and bake until golden brown. Serve with butter or make little sandwiches.
How to Prevent Over-Spreading
Over-spreading happens when the butter is too warm and is just melting instead of releasing steam to create air pockets in the dough. If you are afraid that your scones will spread, refrigerate the shaped scones for at least 15 minutes before baking.
If you still find that your dough is spreading too much as it bakes, remove from the oven and press back into shape using a spatula. Then return to the oven to bake. Good luck!
If you store baked savory scones in an airtight container, they will stay fresh for about three days before turning very dry and crumbly. This is a baked good that tastes best within 24 hours of baking.
Freezing this Savory Scone Recipe
Luckily for you, you can make this savory scone recipe and then freeze them for later! Either freeze baked or unbaked with these instructions.
Bake scones as directed and cool. Freeze in an airtight bag or container for up to 4 months. To thaw, transfer the scones to the counter for a few hours or overnight in the fridge. Either warm in the microwave or in the oven!
Once you are done cutting the dough into wedges, freeze on a plate or baking sheet for at least an hour. Then transfer to an airtight bag or container and freeze for up to 4 months. To bake, either bake from frozen, adding a few minutes to the baking time or thaw overnight and bake as normal.
To make this savory scone recipe the night before, follow the instructions, stopping after you cut the circle of dough into 8 triangles. Cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, preheat your oven and continue where the instructions left off.
More Scone Recipe to Try!
- English Scones Recipe
- Lemon & Cranberry Scones
- Almond Blueberry Scones
- Pepperoni Pizza Savory Scones
- Chocolate Covered Coconut Almond Scones
- Cornmeal Blueberry Scones
- Simple Scones Recipe
So, next time you want a snack, or are having a baby shower or some guests over, try this savory scone recipe out and see what they think! They are sure to please!
Printable recipe card is below. Happy Baking!
Green Onion Savory Scone Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut butter into dry ingredients until it is similar to a coarse meal. Stir in cheeses, green onions and, milk until moist.
- Flour board, and roll dough out to be 1-1 1/2 inches thick--it will be sticky if you don't use enough flour. Cut into small circles and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops with cream and bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve with butter or make little sandwiches.