This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Welcome to my new and improved food site! I have finally made the transition over from blogger to wordpress all in one piece! It took a little longer than expected but thanks to my good friend Ben (over at Bubonic Media) helped save the day! If you are in the market for a new site, please do yourself a favor and drop him a line! He’s a professional, hard working, kind person and really just an overall stand up guy! PS- he likes brownies.
**Through this whole process, I had to get a new facebook fan page because it wouldn’t let me switch names. So please, if you have an extra minute, click the ‘like’ button. Please and Thank you. And, I know there are a few minor kinks I’m still working out, but for the most part, we are up and running :)**
Now, onto dessert! I love fall for so many different reasons: Halloween, pumpkins, cooler crisp weather, leaves changing colors, etc. etc. I usually get anxious early on in the season and go overboard with all the pumpkin recipes–before October hits! (If you don’t know what I’m referring to, take a look back at my archives–there are about 16 thousand pumpkin recipes I posted last year!) So, in an attempt to ‘hold off’, I did a little experimenting with sweet potato and I am glad I did! This tart is a result from random stuff I found in my kitchen: a large sweet potato, extra pie dough in my freezer, 4 oz. of cream cheese (we finished our bagels and still had some left!) and a plain Hershey bar (from our s’mores we were making while at the coast over Labor Day weekend.) Overall, it was a dessert that hit my sweet tooth perfectly. Not too sweet but still decadent enough to get my fill without having to eat the whole thing (although after 24 hours it came pretty close–who says you can’t have a piece for breakfast?) All in all, it was a great dessert for not having a whole lot to work with! Something I seem to be getting better at.
So, let’s celebrate a new beginning at Lauren’s Latest and make something yummy–like this tart perhaps?
Oh, and before I forget–what DO you think of the new look? I want your feedback! And if you find something quirky or off kilter, please drop me a line so I can get it fixed asap. Thanks, guys!
Sweet Potato Tart
- 1 8" pie crust enough for the tart pan
Cream Cheese Mixture
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced to 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 Hershey bar cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out pie dough to fit into an 8-inch tart pan*. Using a fork, prick small holes into the bottom on the crust. Store in refrigerator until ready to fill.
- Preheat butter in large skillet to medium heat. Saute sweet potatoes 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cinnamon and brown sugar. Cook another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whip together cream cheese, brown sugar, salt and vanilla. Carefully spread thin layer of cream cheese mixture over bottom of tart shell (I found a fork worked the best for this). Top with cooked sweet potato. Sprinkle chunks of chocolate over top. Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool and serve. Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days--if it will last that long.