This Italian Pasta salad has it all! Tender pasta, salty pepperoni, cubed mozzarella, lots of diced veggies and a homemade olive oil and garlic dressing. The longer it sits the better it tastes! Perfect for potlucks, BBQs or simple side dish.
This Pasta Salad is probably one of my go-to cold side dishes for summer. Everyone loves them because they are easy to make, very fresh and oh so delicious. From Macaroni Salad to Tuna Pasta Salad, they’re all good!
How to Make Italian Pasta Salad
Super duper simple to pull this easy side dish together! The hardest part is chopping a few veggies. PROMISE!
- Cook the pasta. Since this will be refrigerated, I would cook this 1 minute past al dente. It will still have a bit of a bite because of the refrigeration.
- Cut the veggies. This recipe calls for tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, but feel free to add in whatever Italian ingredients you have! Artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan cheese, etc..
- Make the dressing. Whisk a simple mixture of olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and Italian seasoning together and season well.
- Toss everything together and serve. That longer this salad has to marinate together, the more delicious it becomes!
Can I use a different dressing?
Most Italian Pasta Salads call for pre-made Italian salad dressing which is totally fine to use! It’s such a simple choice, of course, you are welcome to use it! For a creamier salad dressing, feel free to use a pre-made ranch or blue cheese dressing. Be sure to read the notes within the recipe card below for other options.
How long does pasta salad last in the fridge?
This particular recipe is good for up to 5 days in the fridge, though is most delicious day 2 after it’s had some time to marinate.
Can I freeze pasta salad?
No, I would not recommend freezing this recipe, simply because fresh veggies do not thaw very nicely and will not taste very fresh post-freezer.
Can I change the main pasta salad ingredients?
Yes. The beauty of this recipe is how easily the veggies and pasta can be interchanged. Here are a few great options to choose from. Of course, my recipe includes many of the ingredients listed, but if you are missing one or two, don’t let that stop you from making this! It will still be delicious!
- Any short-cut pasta
- diced tomatoes
- diced pepperoni
- bell peppers
- mozzarella or cheddar
- red onion
- fresh basil and parsley
- artichoke hearts
- sun-dried tomatoes
- grated parmesan cheese
- grated carrot
Other Summer Salads you will love!
If pasta salad isn’t your scene, try some of these other family favorites we rotate through all summer long:
- Classic Coleslaw Recipe
- Summer Corn Avocado Basil Salad
- Grandma’s Cucumber Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- The Best Iceberg Wedge Salad
More Pasta Salad Recipes to Try!
If you liked this recipe, you’re going to LOVE my other pasta salad recipes, give them a try next time you are looking for a refreshing side dish.
Printable recipe card is below! Have a good day!
Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
For the pasta salad:
- 3/4 pound rotini pasta cooked
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese cubed
- 5 oz pepperoni cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 3/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 english cucumber diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
- Cook pasta according to box directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add pasta to a large bowl and add in remaining prepared salad ingredients.
- For the dressing, whisk together garlic, vinegar, sugar, and seasonings. Stream in olive oil to emulsify and pour over salad. Toss to coat and add in extra Italian seasoning as desired.
- Serve pasta salad or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.