This simple Macaroni Salad Recipe is delicious and can be made in 15 minutes! It’s the perfect creamy crunchy side dish for summer.
I love this Macaroni Salad recipe for so many reasons! It’s simple to make, my kids will eat it no problem, it’s highly adaptable based on what you have on hand and it’s a classic recipe that everyone loves in the summer. Or any season really! Plus, it’s the perfect make-ahead salad for any potluck or BBQ.
Macaroni Salad Recipe Ingredients
Pasta – Macaroni Salad is usually made with elbow pasta, it holds the sauce well so you get a burst of flavor in each bite.
Crunchy Add-Ins – like onions, dill pickles, celery, bell pepper, and carrots to name a few. I recommend these ingredients but use what you have!
Mayonnaise and White Vinegar – This combo coats the whole salad making it creamy and crisp!
Spices – like basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. All important seasonings to really give this salad its punch!
How to make Macaroni Salad
- Cook your macaroni. Use well salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Chop your veggies. Things like celery, carrot, onion, bell pepper and pickles are all crunchy, delicious options.
- Toss with the dressing. This is made with mayonnaise, vinegar, and spices that are whisked together. Pour over macaroni salad and toss.
- Refrigerate. This salad is delicious as is, but only gets better with time! If you can make a few hours in advance for best results.
What to Eat with Macaroni Salad
Plus any leftovers can be refrigerated and saved as a snack or lunch for the next day. This recipe should stay good for 3-5 days after making it.
If making this recipe for a large group of people, or a party make sure to double the recipe so everyone can have a taste of this stuff! You won’t regret it and neither will they.
The printable recipe card is below! Be sure to save, print, pin or bookmark this because it is a fabulous recipe you won’t want to lose!
Simple Macaroni Salad Recipe
This simple Macaroni Salad Recipe is delicious and can be made in 15 minutes! It's the perfect creamy, crunchy, fresh and cold summer salad.
- 1/2 lb. elbow macaroni such as barilla
- 3/4 cup carrot diced
- 3/4 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced (or yellow onion)
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper diced (optional)
- 1/3 cup dill pickle diced
- 1/4 cup black olives diced
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise heaping 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
Bring large pot of water to boil. Salt water generously and pour in pasta. Stir and cook 7-10 minutes or until al dente. While pasta is cooking chop all your veggies. Drain pasta and rinse under cold water until cold. Pour into large bowl and top with chopped veggies.
Stir in mayonnaise, vinegar, and seasonings until everything is well coated. If it doesn't seem like there's enough mayonnaise to go around, add in a splash of water or a little more mayonnaise. Refrigerate until ready to serve.