This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This low carb Burrito Bowl recipe means enjoying Mexican food without all the guilt. Or tortillas. Lots of veggies in this recipe, plus all the toppings you can handle.
Gordon and I are trying to be slightly healthier than we previously have been in the past. This means figuring out ways to eat food we want with some major, but sometimes minor, modifications to our meals. This recipe is definitely a recipe that only needed minor tweaking to taste amazing and is totally adaptable according to your taste.
Here are my Low Carb Burrito Bowls broken down by part:
Bottom layer is frozen white rice mixed and frozen cauliflower rice, steamed together in the microwave. Of course if you wanted this to be completely low carb, you’d definitely leave the rice out. I did try it that way at first, but let it be known that the cauliflower definitely still tastes like cauliflower. If you’re ok with that, then great! No harm, no foul. All the toppings and things that go into this definitely do add a lot of flavor, but you’ll still be tasting the cauliflower….hence me mixing the rice WITH the cauli-rice. If you don’t care about the carbs, just use rice.
Middle layer is a stellar combo of ground beef, zucchini, squash and corn (…black beans too if you’re not too picky about those carbs 😉 ) cooked together with a little water and taco seasoning. If you cut the veggies small enough, they’ll blend right into the meal. Winning.
Top layer is just whatever toppings you like and prefer. The recipe card offers LOTS of suggestions, but the ones pictured include: pico, queso, guacamole and jalapenos. Any taco, burrito, fajita, quesadilla or enchilada topping could work here. The sky is almost the limit.
All in all, this recipe makes a lot of food in not a lot of time and tastes amazing!
Grab the recipe below and enjoy! Have a great day, friends! xo
Low Carb Burrito Bowls
For the meat topping:
- 1 lb low fat ground beef 90/10
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 small yellow squash diced
- 2 cobs corn kernels removed
- 1 can black beans optional
- 2 packages taco seasoning about 1/2 cup
- 1-1 1/2 cups water
For the rice:
- 12 oz frozen cauliflower rice 1 bag
- 10 oz frozen white rice 1 bag
- grated cheddar cheese
- diced red onion
- lime wedges
- green onion
- tortilla chips
- sour cream etc.
- In large, nonstick skillet, brown ground beef, breaking apart as you go until completely cooked. Remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
- Wipe out pan with a paper towel and place back over the heat. Add olive oil and saute zucchini, squash, corn and black beans, if using. Cook about 5 minutes until veggies start to soften. Add meat back in and sprinkle taco seasoning over. Pour in water and stir. Simmer until water mostly absorbs and you have a moist mixture. Remove from heat.
- Microwave frozen cauliflower and white rice together in a large glass bowl until heated through. Stir to mix.
- To assemble burrito bowls: scoop some cauli/rice onto your plate. Top with meat mixture and then any desired toppings. Enjoy!