This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
What a crazy weekend I have had! Just when I want to relax, BAM! Something else happens/goes wrong. I guess this just proves that we live exciting lives. And, even though it’s stressful, it sure beats living a boring life! Let me tell you what has been going on. Where to start?
Some time last week, my beautiful hot piece of husband was stung or bit by an insect, unbeknownst to him. A few days later, it got really itchy and infected (not so scary or unusual) and we could see the infection running up his left arm through his vein that is between his (bulging) bicep and tricep (kind of scary and very unusual). Luckily, we have two nurses in the family and after a quick call they directed us to go to the doctor…..fast. So off he went and after a few hours, he got a nice fat bottle of antibiotics to kill off whatever he had. Crisis averted.
During this whole process of whether or not his arm was going to be amputated (I over exaggerate…can you tell?) we’ve been deciding whether or not he should go to Utah to participate in some interviews for future employment. I don’t think I mentioned this to you, but my husband recently lost his job and is now looking for work. (Can you feel the stress through your computer screen yet? Maybe you’ll understand why I made these cookies last week and why I’m posting about them now…ummmmm….in a few paragraphs I mean…) So, we’ve been trying to figure out his schedule, how long this trip will be, how many states he’s going to venture to, etc.. I’ll keep you posted on that when/if we figure it out. So far, he’s leaving on Tuesday and will travel to Utah and Idaho. That’s all I know.
During THOSE two things, I just have gotten progressively sicker. There seemed to be hope on Saturday, but Sunday was the worst: no voice and a vicious cough. Thankfully, I didn’t feel like death, although I probably looked it from some of the looks and comments I got. “OH, WOW….you don’t look well…are you feeling ok?” Do I look ok? Do I sound ok? Thankfully today, I feel chipper and almost completely healed! Thank the good Lord!
So, that my friends, was my weekend. What did you do? If it was worse than mine, I’d love to hear from you 🙂 ! Even if it wasn’t, I’d still love to hear all about it. I know that sounded like a total pity party, but really I feel grateful for all that I have, especially for my health now…..and for cookies that make me feel good.
Speaking of cookies…I am thankful for cookies…. especially ones that are soft and chewy that are coated in sugar and have a pumpkin spice hershey kiss on top! These Pumpkin Spice Sugar Blossoms are a cross between a snickerdoodle and a peanut butter blossom that make a the perfect Halloween treat. I dyed the sugar orange to make them more festive and the pumpkin spice hershey kiss was the perfect touch. After searching 4 different stores in this small town, I tweeted asking where to find these rare hershey kisses. Thanks to Barbara, I found them at Target! I LOVE Target. Cute clothes for me and my family AND Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses. Any kind of kisses will do, but these and the caramel filled ones were our favorites.
We loved these and so will you! Hopefully, it’s feeling a little more like fall where you are, so baking will seem a little more natural. Don’t get me wrong, I loved that little heat wave, but I am ready for sweaters, fall colors and candy galore! Happy baking!
Sugar Cookie Blossoms
for orange sugar:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 drop red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small plastic container with a tight fitting lid, pour in sugar and drop food colorings over top. Close container with lid and shake vigorously until sugar is orange. (This is an un-edited photo showing how bright my sugar got. My sugar got brighter once the color 'set in' into the granules. If yours doesn't look as bright as this, just wait a few minutes and yours should brighten up too.)
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Whip in egg and vanilla until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Slowly stir in remaining ingredients until combined. Set aside. Using a cookie scoop, drop cookie dough into orange sugar and roll around lightly to coat.
- Place on un-greased cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are just barely starting to brown. While cookies are baking, unwrap hershey kisses. Remove cookies from baking sheet immediately and place on cooling rack. Press hershey kiss into center of warm cookie. Cool and serve. Or just serve warm! Either way is delicious!