This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Swedish Meatballs | Shortcut Recipe!
When it comes to meal prep, we should work smarter, not harder. Enter these Swedish Meatballs (made with frozen meatballs). You can buy a 6-pound bag of fully cooked and frozen meatballs from Sam’s Club or Costco, keep them in your freezer and use them as needed in so many different recipes. It’s such a time saver and they taste great. Especially perfect around the holidays. Use store-bought or homemade meatballs, then make this simple sauce to create amazing Swedish Meatballs (you know, those yummy meatballs they sell at Ikea?). Ready to make them?
Main Ingredients Needed
You only need six ingredients and about 20 minutes of time to make this amazing dinner! Here’s what you’ll need for these Swedish Meatballs:
- Butter + Flour – these two make a roux which starts out the sauce. This basically adds flavor and stabalizes the sauce.
- Beef Stock – this adds flavor to the sauce while also thinning out the flour.
- Sour Cream – adds creamy tanginess to the mix.
- Salt + Pepper – don’t forget to salt and pepper.
- Beef Meatballs – use frozen meatballs (I used Casa di Bertacchi brand) or make homemade meatballs!
How to Make Swedish Meatballs
To make them, you just make a quick roux sauce, add in a little sour cream and the meatballs, and heat thoroughly. For full details on how to make Swedish Meatballs, see the recipe card down below. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think 🙂
1. Make a Roux
In a large cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk. Cook 1 minute.
2. Make Sauce
Slowly whisk in beef stock to prevent lumps. Cook for 3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
Reduce heat to low and melt in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
3. Cook Meatballs
Add in frozen meatballs, stir to coat, and cover with foil. Cook 10 minutes or until meatballs and heated through.
How to Serve Swedish Meatballs
Swedish Meatballs are traditionally served alongside cooked egg noodles, rice, or potatoes. Here are a couple of recipes to inspire you!
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes (keep things simple with a crockpot recipe)
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes (for those garlic lovers out there)
- Roasted Potatoes (if you’re not into mashed potatoes)
- Famous Butter Rice (this goes well with just about any meal)
- How to Freeze Rice (this is a make-ahead brown rice recipe)
More Meatball Recipes to Try!
- Easy Meatball Recipe (perfect for any dish!)
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Teriyaki Meatballs with Mango Avocado Salsa
- Homemade Frozen Turkey Meatballs
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
My whole family gobbled these Swedish Meatballs up! It’s recipes like this that make my world go round. I love a fast meal my whole family will love.
The printable recipe card is down below, enjoy 🙂
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound frozen beef meatballs such as Casa di Bertacchi brand
- mashed potatoes rice or egg noodles for serving
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk. Cook 1 minute and slowly whisk in beef stock to prevent lumps. Cook 3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and melt in sour cream, salt and pepper. Add in frozen meatballs, stir to coat and cover with foil. Cook 10 minutes or until meatballs and heated through.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.