This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The easiest way to sweeten a drink or cocktail, this recipe for Simple Syrup is a good one to have around for the holidays or special occasions. If you love a Mojito or Pina Colada, this is the recipe you’ll need!
What is Simple Syrup?
Just like the name suggests, Simple Syrup is a two ingredient syrup used to sweeten drinks and cocktails without having that gritty granulated sugar texture. Comparable to the classic syrup at Starbucks, homemade simple syrups stir in easily, can easily go undetected and sweeten drinks flawlessly.
Why Would I Use This?
Just like I mentioned above, simple syrup is a way to add sweetness and no flavor in an easy way that mixes and dissolves right in to lemonades, drinks or cocktails.
How to Make Simple Syrup
This is a simple, five minute recipe that can easily adjust up or down to make a small or large batch.
Here’s how to make it:
- In a small saucepan, stir equal parts of granulated sugar with cold water and stir. I used 1 cup of granulated sugar to 1 cup water.
- Bring mixture to boil until the sugar just dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month. Add into any drinks you’d like.
Infusing Simple Syrup with Flavor
If you love being your own bartender and experimenting with different flavors at home, simple syrup can easily be infused with different herbs and spices for an extra hit of flavor. Here are a few ideas. Simply add these into your pot with the sugar and water, then bring to boil and cool as the directions state, then strain out or remove the flavoring agent before storing in the fridge.
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh mint (delicious for flavored lemonades!)
- Citrus peel (like lemon, lime, grapefruit or orange)
- Vanilla beans
- Chiles (for a spicy kick)
Drink Recipes That Use Simple Syrup
A lot of your favorite drinks and cocktails use simple syrup. Probably more than you even realize! Here are a few common ones:
Anyways, I hope you find this recipe easy and simple, just as the title suggests. Save it, pin it, bookmark or print for later! It’s a good one you’ll use again and again.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 small saucepan
- Place sugar and water into a small saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer just until sugar crystals have dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Store refrigerated in airtight containers for up to 1 month.