Sugar Cookies just got better with a little pumpkin! This recipe creates soft, chewy, lightly spicy glazed Pumpkin Sugar Cookies that are perfect for Fall!
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE a good sugar cookie. Especially if it’s soft, spicy and if pumpkin is involved in some way. Ever since I posted this recipe back in 2014, people have been going crazy for Pumpkin Sugar Cookies. Yes, there’s the classic pumpkin pie, pumpkin bars and even old fashioned pumpkin donuts, but pumpkin sugar cookies are the way to my heart.
This simple recipe for pumpkin sugar cookies is a simple one, using butter, vegetable oil, pumpkin puree a mixture of two sugars, vanilla, spices and flour. Scooped and pressed onto a baking sheet, these bake up nice and soft and then get taken over the top with a sweet and spicy glaze.
They are easy to make, stay soft for days and are just the right amount of spicy and sweet. Alone they are kind of boring, but with the glaze, they are addicting. Most food is addicting to me though. These are carbs after all.
How to make Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line light colored baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Stir butter, oil, sugars, vanilla, eggs and pumpkin together until well incorporated.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet until and stir until just combined.
- Scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Press the bottom of a small cup into granulated sugar and press each cookie down to flatten slightly.
- Bake 8-9 minutes.
- Whisk powdered sugar together with water and pumpkin pie spice to create smooth, thick glaze.
- Once cookies have cooled, glaze cookies.
Homemade Spice Mix vs Pumpkin Pie Spice
For this pumpkin cookie recipe, I use a mixture of nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon in the dough, but do use pumpkin pie spice in the glaze. Either are fine and work perfectly well. Use what you have!
Also, if you feel you need to add in a little ginger to make it a true pumpkin pie spice mix, feel free to add that in as well. I just didn’t have any and am partial to cloves over ginger. To each their own!
Love pumpkin sugar cookies? Try these other pumpkin recipes:
- Classic Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Pecan Cobbler
- Soft Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Pull Apart Monkey Bread
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Donuts
- Magnolia Bakery Pumpkin Gingersnap Banana Pudding
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Danish
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Bakery-Style Pumpkin Muffins
And if you’re looking for more even more pumpkin recipes, check out my full list here.
Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
Sugar Cookies just got better with a little pumpkin! This recipe creates soft, chewy, lightly spicy glazed pumpkin sugar cookies that are perfect for Fall!
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree canned pumpkin
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
for the glaze-
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat and set aside. In a large bowl, stir butter, oil, pumpkin, sugars, vanilla and eggs together until incorporated and smooth.
Slowly mix in all dry ingredients until completely incorporated.
Scoop onto prepared baking sheet using 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop and flatten to 1/2 inch thick using the bottom of a glass. If the dough is sticking to the glass, press the bottom of the glass in granulated sugar before flattening. Bake 8-9 minutes.
- While cookies bake, stir all ingredients together for glaze until smooth.
- Once cookies are finished baking, cool 3 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons glaze over each warm cookie. Let glaze harden 2-3 hours before serving. OR eat them warm with lots of runny glaze 🙂