This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This quick Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese is made on the stovetop and can be ready to eat in about 30 minutes. A fun twist on classic Macaroni and Cheese. Pair with a veggie side dish to make it a full meal!
Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese | Homemade!
I’ve been on the hunt looking for easy, fast, simple meals. I mentioned something about this to my husband and in typical boy fashion responded with a “why don’t you just make macaroni and cheese with cut-up hot dogs?”
Are there any other husbands out there that make a killer macaroni and cheese with cut-up hot dogs? Just my husband?
That’s what I thought. Anyways.
I’m not a huge fan of the boxed macaroni and cheese. The powdered cheese is not real cheese, no matter what the packaging says! So, I decided to make my own version of this beloved staple with real ingredients. Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese, the adult version of macaroni and cheese with cut-up hot dogs, if you will.
Creamy, easy, delicious and ready in about 30 minutes total. Not too shabby for a weeknight.
Main Ingredients Needed
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this homemade smoked sausage mac and cheese:
- Elbow Pasta – you can use any type of pasta here but to keep things traditional I used elbow pasta.
- Butter + Flour – this is to make a roux, which flavors and makes a stable sauce.
- Milk – this is to transform the roux into a bechamel sauce. Lots of creaminess here!
- Nutmeg – just a pinch for some nuttiness.
- Salt + Pepper – season to taste!
- Cheddar + Parmesan Cheese – I used both for lots of great cheesy flavor. These also thicken the sauce.
- Smoked Sausage – I used Butterball Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage (a kid-friendly choice) but feel free to use your favorite type of sausage!
How to Make Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese
For full details on how to make Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese, see the recipe card down below 🙂
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook one pound of macaroni pasta until al dente.
Make a Bechamel Sauce
Place your hot pot back on the heat, melt in some butter and then whisk in some flour. Let this cook about a minute before whisking in the milk. Leave the heat on medium-low to let the sauce thicken slowly. If you bring the milk to a boil, it may curdle, and let’s be honest….that would not be delicious.
Add Cheese + Season
While that is doing its thing, grate some cheddar cheese. We need 4 cups total.
Once your sauce has thickened, slowly stir in all that grated cheddar and a little parmesan cheese. Stir it up until smooth. Now would be a good time to taste and see if it needs more salt and pepper.
Add Sausage + Serve
So now, crack open your sausage of choice! Cut into cubes and add it into the hot pot with the cooked pasta.
Give it a good stir and make sure everything heats thoroughly and evenly, then dish it up and serve.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes to Try!
- Camping Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Pimento Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
This is my idea of comfort food!! Smooth and cheesy, creamy and delicious 🙂
Printable recipe below. Have a great day, friends!
Smoked Sausage Mac and Cheese
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Replace pot back to medium heat. Melt butter, then whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk slowly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5 minutes over medium low heat to thicken sauce without curdling the milk.
- Sprinkle cheese in bit by bit until it’s all incorporated into one smooth cheesy sauce.
- Stir in cooked pasta and turkey sausage. Warm it all through 2-3 minutes before serving. Serve hot.