This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Amazingly delicious Macaroni and Cheese made in your pressure cooker completely from scratch with NO velveeta in 20 minutes.
I don’t think I’ve ever made such a delicious and creamier macaroni and cheese in 20 minutes ever. Like, would that even be possible? (This camping mac and cheese is real tasty, but takes longer to make.)
I’m here to tell you that YES! It can be done! You can make jaw dropping, amazingly delicious macaroni and cheese in your pressure cooker completely from scratch with NO velveeta in 20 minutes or less.
So, obviously the printable recipe will give you all the specific details, but this mac and cheese in a nutshell:
- is cooked in the pressure cooker for 5 minutes
- has a roux made in the pressure cooker amongst the already cooked pasta
- has a ton of melted cheeses stirred in for distinct and adaptable flavors, based on your preferences and palate
- can be switched and changed up depending on what you have on hand
- and is ready to eat in about 20 minutes
I read some reviews of some other pressure cooker macaroni and cheeses and all of them had great results, but I wasn’t confident I would like it as much as a stovetop version, but lemmetellyou, I like it better! It’s not only faster (as I’ve mentioned how many times already?) but its so creamy and is the perfect recipe for a novice chef. No need to even know what a roux is to have success. Just pick out some good melting cheeses and you’re good to go.
And just as a pro tip: as this sits and cools, it will thicken up. To get it back to that dreamy and creamy consistency, heat it up gently, stirring in a splash of milk. That should do the trick 😉
Printable recipe below! Have a great day, friends!! xo
Pressure Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb pasta I used cavatappi
- 4 cups cold water or chicken broth
- 12 oz evaporated milk 1 can
- 1/4 cup softened salted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 16 oz assorted grated cheese see notes below
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- milk as needed
- Place pasta and cold water (or chicken broth) into pressure cooker. Do your best to create an even layer of pasta so its all mostly submerged. Add pressure cooker lid, lock into place, seal valve and cook 5 minutes under high pressure on "Beans/Chili" mode.
- While pasta is cooking, mix butter and flour together to create a paste.
- Quick release pressure once cooking cycle has completed and remove lid. Switch to Brown/Saute function. Pour in evaporated milk and the butter/flour mixture. Continuously stir until sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle in grated cheeses, little by little, until it all has been incorporated. Add in splashes of milk as needed if macaroni and cheese gets too thick. (I probably used 1 cup total as I was stirring in the cheese.)
- Stir in nutmeg, taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve immediately.
- white cheddar
- pepper jack
- blue cheese
- goat cheese
- parmesan cheese
- cream cheese