This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Summer Vegetable Stew Recipe with Barley is light, filling, super easy to whip up, low in fat, and high in fiber! Give it a whirl!
Vegetable Stew Recipe
Guys this summer Vegetable Stew Recipe is so dang good. It’s really light, delicious, and healthy! I found barley for $0.77 a pound at the store the other day, so I got some and made this! Super simple, packed with veggies and fiber. Your family will love it 🙂
This Vegetable Stew Recipe requires just a few basic ingredients, when combined, create a medley of light and delicious flavors. Here’s what you need:
- Olive Oil, Onion, and Garlic – the holy trinity of soups! Simple ingredients that make a great base.
- Pearl Barley – this is where all of that healthy fiber comes in. You can find pearl barley near the rice and beans. If you can’t find it there, check the bulk section!
- Chicken Stock – or beef broth or vegetable broth if you want this to be a vegetarian meal.
- Bay Leaves, Basil, Thyme, Salt, and Pepper – seasonings galore! Season and taste as you go, then adjust as you like.
- Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Carrots – these are the three main vegetables in this stew. More on veggies below 🙂
- Parmesan Cheese – I like to grate some fresh parmesan cheese on top for a little bit more flavor, and because it looks pretty.
Can I Use Different Vegetables?
You absolutely can use different vegetables for this Vegetable Stew! Use a combination of what you have on hand or go shopping for a specific blend of veggies you have in mind. Just remember that some vegetables require more time to cook than others.
How to Make Vegetable Stew
This Vegetable Stew Recipe could not get any easier! For full details see the recipe card down below.
- In a large pot, heat oil. Saute onions to soften. Stir in garlic and pearl barley. Cook another minute.
- Pour in chicken stock and spices, stir, cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the veggies and simmer another couple of minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Ladle into bowls and top with real parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
More Soup Recipes to Try!
- Beef Stew (Crockpot Recipe)
- Chicken Meatball Soup
- Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Mashed Potatoes
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Enjoy this soup in an incredible homemade bread bowl!
Consider making this warm and healthy Vegetable Stew Recipe whenever the craving hits. Even during summer!
The printable recipe card is below, enjoy and have a good day 🙂
Vegetable Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 small zucchinis diced
- 2 cups carrot diced
- Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- fresh basil for garnish, optional
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and pearl barley. Cook another minute.
- Pour in chicken stock and spices, stir, cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the veggies and simmer another 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Ladle into bowls and top with real parmesan cheese and fresh basil.