Wild Rice Stuffing is the perfect substitute for traditional stuffing and is made with bacon! Make this super tasty side next Thanksgiving!
Well, folks, it’s that time again, Wild Rice Stuffing time! Since I am Canadian and live in the states, it’s only fitting that I celebrate both Canadian and American Thanksgiving and stuff my face twice! Now, the usual American Thanksgiving feast is different than my family’s Canadian celebration and this stuffing has a little something to do with it. Growing up, I never really knew such a thing as bread stuffing really existed. At some point, I found out, but I never really saw it being made and we never really ate it because this Wild Rice Stuffing is so much tastier than the bread kind…and I think my Mom didn’t like it and found a better recipe that involved bacon. YUM.
My Mom found this recipe in an old old copy of the Joy of Cooking and after the years, adapted it for our family. Well, when I got to college and didn’t have any copy of the recipe, I made it until it tasted right and adapted it a little more. So, technically this is an adaption from an adaption but it all goes back to those geniuses at the Joy of Cooking. Those smartypants’!
If you are celebrating either Thanksgivings, I would highly recommend this recipe! We’ve been eating this one for years for a reason! It’s just so darn good. And, usually, we have leftovers of everything else but this and my Grandma’s cauliflower–which we will discuss at a later date.
These other recipes also have gotten rave reviews that will make Thanksgiving that much tastier:
As far as all those leftovers are concerned, re-purpose them in a few of these recipes!
Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends back home in Ottawa and everywhere else! We’ll be celebrating here! And, I’ll be posting a killer cheesecake recipe on Monday, so stay tuned for that! Happy Eating! 🙂
Wild Rice Stuffing with Bacon
Wild Rice Stuffing is the perfect substitute for traditional stuffing and is made with bacon! Make this super tasty side next Thanksgiving! Adapted from The Joy of Cooking.
- 1 box Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice you must get this brand and flavor!
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 10 slices smoked bacon
- 3 tablespoons reserved bacon grease
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 dash ground sage optional
- ¼ cup dried cranberries optional
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds optional
- Cook two kinds of rice together, according to package directions. Once cooked, scoop into a large bowl. In a large skillet, cook bacon to be slightly crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside.
- Pour off bacon grease, leaving 3 tablespoons in the pan. Sautee onions and celery in grease until tender, 5 minutes. Stir cooked vegetables, bacon, salt, pepper, cream, sage and cranberries into rice. At this point, you could stuff your turkey with this stuffing or pour into a baking dish, cover with foil and warm in at 300-degree oven until ready to serve. Right before serving, top with toasted slivered almonds.