I went to the gym yesterday. It’s about freaking time because I took a week and a half off after twisting/turning/somehow busting my knees. Running in old shoes up hills for 8+ miles was the death of me. WHY can’t I live in, like, Kansas where the hills are as tall as my 13 month old? WHYYYYY?
…….5 minutes later…….
I just googled ‘which state is flattest?’ and the google gods said Florida. Who knew? You learn something new everyday. Technically, my husband said “Florida is pretty flat” and I didn’t believe him, thus trying to prove him wrong. Please excuse me while I hang my head in shame.
Ahh, distractions. The sole reason why I get nothing accomplished ever.
ANYWAYS. I made this Broccoli Cheddar Brown Rice Skillet for dinner last night and my husband snarfed it down. 3 bowls full, I think?
My daughter was a completely different story and my son? Welllllllll, he took a few bites and then decided the rest of it belonged on the floor.
Overall, this was a pretty quick dish to throw together. But mainly because I used leftover rice and rotisserie chicken. My make ahead brown rice is a great thing to have on hand for this! Also, I always seem to have rotisserie chicken loitering around in my fridge too. Feel free to switch this recipe up with a different cheese, a different veggie or a different protein. For a lighter version, substitute the whole milk for skim or half milk, half chicken broth. You can ease up on the cheese too, but…..WHY? I wouldn’t recommend it 😉
Here’s how you make it:
Start by chopping a small onion and a bunch of broccoli.
Sautee them in some butter until tender, 3ish minutes or so.
Sprinkle with some flour and stir to incorporate. Whisk in some milk and bring to a simmer to thicken. Season with salt, pepper and dried mustard.
Slide in some rotisserie chicken…
and stir in lots of cheese! You might want to taste this and see if it needs any more salt or pepper.
Last thing to do is slide in some leftover brown rice.
Stir it all up and voila! Just like that, dinner is done.
It’s a cheesy, tasty, semi-healthy, 1-pot dish that my husband LOVED. It’s really hard to go wrong with cheese, rice, chicken and broccoli though.
Give it a whirl tonight 🙂 Printable below. Have a great weekend, friends!
Broccoli Cheddar Brown Rice Skillet
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rotisserie chicken shredded
- 2 cups leftover cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion and broccoli until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir to incorporate. Slowly whisk in milk and continue stirring to scrape up the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Simmer slowly to thicken sauce, then season with salt, pepper and ground mustard. Melt cheese into sauce, then stir in cooked rice. Heat through 2-3 minutes, then serve.