This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Macro Friendly Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Rice
- 1/2 tablespool olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 13 oz andouille sausage I used Jenny-O turkey andouille sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup long grain white rice uncooked
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cajun seasoning divided; I used McCormick Grillmates
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 green onions chopped
- 12" nonstick pan
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large, nonstick skillet. Saute onion, celery, red pepper and andouille turkey sausage for 4-5 minutes or until veggies are mostly tender.
- Add in rice, chicken broth, 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently until rice is cooked. Stir after 10 minutes to ensure the rice isn't scorching the bottom of the pan. You may also have to add in an extra splash or two of chicken broth, depending how much liquid the rice is absorbing.
- While rice is cooking, blot shrimp to remove any excess moisture. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining cajun seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Once rice is mostly cooked and nearly tender, stir in shrimp and cover to cook another 5 minutes to steam. Once shrimp is pink and opaque and the rice is fully cooked, remove from heat. Top with chopped green onion. Divide into four equal portions and serve hot.