This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Coconut Bars have a sugar cookie bottom and are topped with a lime zest, coconut, and cream cheese concoction. Tons of island flavor here! Perfect for a summer dessert or anytime you’re craving that island vibe.
Coconut Bars | A Coconut Lime Delight
These bars were one of the recipes I tested yesterday and they turned out to be tasty little devils. Basically, Lime and coconut is another match made in heaven. It makes me want to go on vacation to the Caribbean and get a tan. It also makes me think of Copacabana by Barry Manilow. Have I ever mentioned that I love that song? Well, I love that song…..so much so that I was singing along to it while these were in the oven.
Main Ingredients Needed
Save yourself some time and buy pre-made sugar cookie dough at the store or use a homemade recipe you love! Here’s everything you’ll need to make Coconut Bars:
- Sugar Cookie Dough – you can use store-bought dough or make it homemade!
- Cream Cheese – softened, for creamy smooth texture.
- Granulated Sugar – to sweeten the frosting.
- Egg – for structure and texture.
- Coconut Extract + Lime Zest – for amazing flavor.
- Shredded Coconut – to sprinkle on top. This stuff gets lighlty toasted in the oven for amazing texture.
How to Make Coconut Bars | Directions
Here are the step-by-step directions to make these yummy Coconut Bars. These are fairly simple to put together. For full recipe details scroll down to see the printable recipe card.
Step 1: Preheat + Prep
Preheat oven. Spray 9×9 square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Press Dough Into Pan
Press sugar cookie dough into the bottom of the greased dish and set aside.
Step 3: Combine Remaining Ingredients
In a large bowl, whip cream cheese with sugar and egg. Scrape edges and whip again. Stir in coconut extract and lime zest. Spread mixture over top of cookie dough to form an even layer and top with coconut.
Step 4: Bake
Bake until coconut is lightly toasted and cream cheese mixture is set.
Step 5: Cool + Refrigerate
Cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely chilled. Cut into bars and serve.
Storing Coconut Bars
Place Coconut Bars in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 4 days. Yes, you do need to refrigerate these bars since they contain cream cheese.
More Coconut Recipes To Try…
Happy Baking! I hope you make these this week! Enjoy, friends! 🙂
- 16.5 oz refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 8.5 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×9 square pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Press sugar cookie dough into bottom of greased dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip cream cheese with sugar and egg. Scrape edges and whip again. Stir in coconut extract and lime zest. Spread mixture over top of cookie dough to form an even layer and top with coconut.
- Bake 20 minutes or until coconut is lightly toasted and cream cheese mixture is set.
- Cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled. Cut into bars and serve.