This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Coconut Macaroons are essentially a 5 ingredient cookie recipe that tastes delicious plain but downright divine dipped in chocolate. This easy Coconut Macaroons Recipe is perfectly soft and chewy on the inside while crisp and toasty on the outside. Chocolate is optional. These are perfect for making ahead of time and giving out as presents or freezing them so you always have some on hand. If you’re a coconut lover, all aboard! If you’re more into a breakfast coconut option, try my Coconut Muffins. To die for!
Main Ingredients Needed
As mentioned above this recipe calls for only 5 ingredients to make sweet little coconut macaroons that’ll brighten your day. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Sweetened Shredded Coconut – this is the main star to this recipe. For best results, make sure you have a fresh bag! This recipe works best with sweetened coconut, not to be confused with unsweetened.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – for that moist inside texture and sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract – for flavoring.
- Egg Whites – this is for the structure of the cookie.
- Salt – to balance out all the sweet, a little salt is needed.
How to Make Coconut Macaroons | Directions
Yes, you only need 5 ingredients and yes, there are only 5 easy steps for this recipe! Simple is the name of the game:
Step 1: Prep
Preheat oven. Line two light-colored baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 2: Combine Coconut, Milk + Vanilla
In a large bowl, combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
Step 3: Whip Egg Whites + Salt
In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and salt until medium-firm peaks form. Fold egg whites into the coconut mixture until incorporated well.
Step 4: Bake
Drop by the spoonful onto prepared baking sheets. (I used a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop). Bake until bottoms and tops are golden brown.
Step 5: Cool
Cool coconut macaroons completely and serve!
Dip in Chocolate
Coconut Macaroons are heavenly by themselves but a lot of people love them dipped in chocolate. So this is an optional step but have fun with it! Try dipping in dark, milk or white chocolate for different flavor combos.
- Simply melt 1 cup of chopped chocolate with about 1 teaspoon of shortening in a microwave-safe bowl at half power, stopping to stir at 30-second intervals, until smooth.
- Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in the chocolate and return to the lined baking sheets. (wax paper also works well here too.)
- Once done dipping place the baking sheet in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set, about 10 minutes.
Storing Coconut Macaroons
Cool coconut macaroons completely and store in airtight containers for up to 3 days.
How to Freeze
Yes, Coconut Macaroons can be frozen to keep them fresh even longer!
Let the cookies cool completely, then stack in a freezer-friendly airtight container, separating each layer with a sheet of parchment paper. Freeze for up to three months! Then when ready to eat, remove the macaroons from the container and let them come to room temperature.
More Coconut Recipes to Love!
- Caramel Coconut Cream Oatmeal
- Coconut Almond Muffins
- Peanut Butter Coconut Oatmeal Scotchies
- Red Velvet Coconut Doughnuts
- Chocolate Covered Coconut Almond Scones
- Favorite Coconut Cake
Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two light-colored baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and salt until medium-firm peaks form. Fold egg whites into the coconut mixture until incorporated well.
- Drop by the spoonful onto prepared baking sheets. (I used a tablespoon-size cookie scoop). Bake 20-25 minutes or until bottoms and tops are golden brown.
- Cool completely and store in airtight containers for up to 3 days.