Funeral Potatoes…everyone has a recipe for this popular casserole! Here is our family recipe for funeral potatoes that we’ve been making for years. Creamy, cheesy and oniony. Perfect for any Sunday Supper or Holiday.
Here is a super common but super delicious recipe for Funeral Potatoes. EVERYONE has a recipe for funeral potatoes and this is the one my family has been making year after year. Whether it’s for Easter or Christmas, we devour this classic potato casserole. 🙂 Lots of butter and unhealthy things up in these potatoes, so I make these only a few times a year, but when I do, people go crazy for them! They are so darn good (and easy too!)
Potatoes aren’t just for funerals anymore 😉
How to make Funeral Potatoes:
- Melt salted butter in a skillet and saute onions until browned.
- In a large bowl, stir frozen hash browns together with melted butter, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in cooked onion and spread into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter in a large skillet and toss in crushed corn flakes.
- Sprinkle corn flakes over potato mixture, cover with foil and bake 40-45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Other Toppings for Funeral Potatoes
And in case you’re wondering, corn flakes aren’t the only thing to top this potato casserole with! Here are some other tasty and convenient options:
- Corn flakes
- Crushed Ritz Crackers
- Crushed Potato Chips
- French Fried Onions
- Bread crumbs tossed in butter
- Grated Cheese
- Cheese AND Bacon 😉
- Crushed Soda Crackers
- Tortilla Strips
- Pretty much anything light and crunchy
I prefer my Funeral Potatoes with french fried onions, but I was fresh out, so I used corn flakes (classic). Don’t be afraid to use what you have in your pantry!
Other tasty potato dishes:
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Perfect Scalloped Potatoes
- Pan Fried Potatoes
- Loaded Smashed Potatoes
- Creamy Cheesy Bacon & Potato Casserole
Anyways, take a peek at my version of this recipe below and see how yours varies. They all generally have the same ingredients and methods and turn out perfectly. Have a wonderful weekend, friends!!
Funeral Potatoes...everyone has a recipe for this popular casserole! Here is my creamy and oniony version!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 lbs diced hash browns Not the grated kind
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 21.5 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup two 10.75 ounce cans
- 1 pint sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 3 cups corn flakes crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until translucent in medium skillet.
While onion is cooking, in a large bowl, mix frozen hash browns, melted butter, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, grated cheese and salt and pepper together until combined.
Stir in onion and pour into a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
Replace medium skillet to the heat and melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Add in crushed corn flakes and stir to toast, about 1 minute. Sprinkle overtop casserole.
Bake 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve hot.
Adapted from several recipes, but most similar to this recipe.