Hope you all had a great 4th of July! We did a little too much partying and ate way too much but had lots of fun being with family and watching the fireworks! It was a great time.
Anyways, I thought I’d post a relatively healthy recipe since I’m sure I’m not the only one that ate a little much yesterday (and who woke up with a sore throat). This burger came about from some left over ingredients from the previous post Bacon, Spinach and Feta Pizza with Sun Dried Tomato Sauce. Once these were all cooked they reminded me of greek souvlaki. Yum! They were garlicky and moist. So delicious.
When I am short on time I usually resort to burgers. They are some of the easiest and fastest things to make. Get everything into a bowl, mix it up and form your patties. Simple! You can cook them right away or keep them into the fridge until you’re ready. For these Greek burgers, I’d recommend making them in advance and letting them sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours to let that garlic make friends with all the other ingredients. Plus now a days, ground turkey and ground beef is inexpensive (I got 1 lb. ground turkey for $2.34). And with it being summer, who wouldn’t want to grill outside? All signs point to burgers!
Greek Turkey Burgers
When you are short on time, these Greek turkey burgers come together fast for a delicious dinner.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup onion finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2-2 cups fresh baby spinach chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped sun dried tomatoes packed in oil & herbs
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 4 whole wheat buns
- In large bowl, mix all ingredients together, excluding the cheese. Form into 4 large patties, place onto plate and cover in plastic wrap.
- Store in refrigerator for 2 hours or so before cooking (ideally). You can cook these right away, but the garlic flavor won't be as strong.
- To cook the burgers, grease grill rack or skillet with oil or non stick cooking spray. Heat grill or skillet to medium heat. Place burgers into pan/onto grill and cook about 6 minutes per side or until there is no more pink meat! If you're unsure, cut one of those babies open just to double check. Turn heat down to low and top with mozzarella and feta cheese.
- Cook patties another minute or until cheese has melted. Place patties onto buns and top with spinach and mayonnaise and/or any other desired toppings.
You don't want your grill to be super hot because odds are you will char the outside and have a raw inside. Thats why I use a moderate heat. If you want, you can char the outside to get nice grill marks and then finish cooking them in the oven. If you choose to cook the burgers completely on the grill, the once you place them on, cover them up and leave them alone! If you keep moving them around, they probably are going to fall apart! So resist the urge and don't touch!
Calories: 400kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 41gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 671mgPotassium: 658mgFiber: 3gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 1598IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 304mgIron: 4mg
Love this recipe? Sign up for more!Get recipes delivered to your inbox