Two or three weeks ago, I became friends with a girl named Natalie who happened to be a featured member on Tasty Kitchen. After reading her blog, Perry’s Plate, and emailing her a few times, we realized that we went to the same college, are part of the same church and know some of the same people! Such a small world! By the way, she is super friendly and nice and has two little rug-rats of her own. If you have never heard of her, I recommend stopping by her site and taking a look around (but only when you’re done here!) Her photos are gorgeous and she showcases the best of the best recipes.
Anyways, I suggested doing a recipe swap where I try a recipe of hers and she tries a recipe of mine and we blog about it. Well, it took me a few days and countless hours looking through all her recipes to finally just choose one to try. I actually lost track of time on several occasions…..thats how into her site I was! Well my friends, I finally chose her Spinach, Bacon & Feta Pizza with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce. This is one of her original creations and it will not disappoint. All of the flavors really work together to make a uniquely delicious pizza. I really liked being able to taste the sun dried tomato pesto along with everything else. Did I mention that this pizza is chock full of bacon, too? Good gravy is bacon good! (It was my husband’s favorite part of this dish!) Anyways, I could go on and on but I need to discuss other matters.
If you don’t already have your sun-dried tomato pesto made and you’re planning on making your own pizza dough (which is what I opted to do) then this is going to take a little time to make. But if you break it up in stages throughout the day or do things in advance (like the day before) then it should be a breeze to come together. All the steps are easy so don’t feel you need to be intimidated by this multi-step recipe. It’s a cinch. Anyways, have fun in the kitchen with this one! It’s great! Thanks for letting me share it, Natalie!
Spinach, Bacon & Feta Pizza with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb fresh pizza dough or enough to make a large pizza
- 12 slices bacon cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1/3 cup homemade sun-dried tomato pesto see recipe below
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 2-3 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese about 8 oz
- 2/3 cup feta cheese
Easy Homemade Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto By: Natalie from Perry's Plate (yield 21/2 - 3 cups):
- 2 cups oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes sliced thinly, I bought mine julienned
- 1 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese or Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- extra-virgin olive oil as needed
- Spread pizza dough out into a rimmed cookie sheet (or round pizza pan, stone, peel or whatever you usually use). Combine pesto and pizza sauce in a small bowl. Spread over stretched pizza dough. Top with fresh spinach, then mozzarella.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the crust is firmed up, but not yet golden brown. Remove pizza from oven and top with crumbled bacon and feta cheese. Return pizza to the oven and bake for another 5-8 minutes or so until crust is golden brown underneath and the cheese is bubbly and browning.
- Remove and serve.
For the Pesto:
- Combine tomatoes, cheese, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse/blend until thoroughly combined. Drizzle a little oil in if it gets to thick to process.