This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Hot Toddy Recipe has all of the usual suspects, blending smooth whiskey, rich honey, and fresh lemons for a perfect harmony of warmth and flavor. But I’ve taken wellness to new heights by adding immune-boosting spices like star anise, cloves and of course a cinnamon stick. It’s a soothing and comforting drink, especially when you’re feeling under the weather.
Why You’ll Love This Hot Toddy Recipe
If you’re looking for comfort and warmth, this Hot Toddy recipe is sure to deliver. The warmth of whiskey, with the sweet touch of honey and the zesty kick of fresh lemon – a simple delight. Whether you intend to warm yourself on a chilly winter evening or seek comfort from cold symptoms, this classic cocktail is the only one you’ll need. Experiment with spices and test out different whisky and dark liquor to customize this drink to suit your preferences. So many possibilites! I like to add spices that offer their own health benefits, especially when I’m battling a cold. Spices like cinnamon, clove, star anise and sometimes nutmeg contribute to making the flavor of this already great drink absolutely exceptional.
Classic Hot Toddy Recipe Ingredients + Health Benefits
- Whiskey – choose a smooth, slightly sweet bourbon whiskey for best results.
- Fresh Lemon Juice + Lemon Slices – rich in Vitamin C, promoting immune system health.
- Raw Honey – You can use any raw honey you would like but if you’re looking for the most health benefits you’ll want to get your hands on Raw Manuka Honey. It’s easy to find in online or even in your local grocery stores. Manuka honey is celebrated for its potent antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, attributed to the presence of methylglyoxal (MGO), making it beneficial for wound healing, sore throats, and digestive health. Additionally, its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects may contribute to overall immune support and well-being. When purchasing Manuka honey, look for products with a recognized UMF or MGO rating to ensure its quality and effectiveness. You could substitute maple syrup or agave if you don’t have any local honey.
- Cinnamon Stick – rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, also has natural antimicrobial properties that may help fight infections and inhibit the growth of bacteria.
- Whole Clove – rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and may help relieve symptoms of cough and congestion due to its expectorant properties.
- Star Anise – rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, may have expectorant properties that help relieve cough and congestion, rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin A and iron, and some studies suggest that star anise may have antiviral properties.
Best Whiskey For a Hot Toddy
The best whiskey for a Hot Toddy is the kind that you enjoy. Choose one that is smooth and slightly sweet for this beverage. I have used several types of bourbon whiskey, Irish whiskey like Jameson, Rye Whiskey and Scotch. While whiskey is the traditional alcohol for this drink, you could also use a dark rum, spiced rum, Brandy, Gin, and other spirits. It’s all a matter of personal preference.
Can I Add Tea To My Hot Toddy?
Hot tea is a great way to customize this recipe and add a layer of flavor and warmth to your Hot Toddy. Brew a strong cup of your favorite tea bag or loose leaf tea (black tea, green tea, or herbal tea like ginger tea) and then replace a portion or all of the hot water with the brewed tea. Tea adds another level of health benefits as well. Play around with different teas find the best tea for your preference.
How To Make A Hot Toddy
For full recipe details including ingredients and measurements, see the printable recipe card down below. This recipe makes ONE serving. Feel free to double or triple if serving multiple hot toddies. Here is step by step what to expect when making this hot drink:
Combine Liquid Ingredients
In a heat-resistant glass or mug, combine whiskey, honey, lemon juice and hot water. Stir until honey is dissolved.
Add Lemon and Spices
Place whole cloves into a lemon slice. This is so they are not floating around in your drink and you don’t swallow them whole! Garnish the beverage with lemon slices (with clove), cinnamon stick and star anise. Alternatively, you can add the whole cloves and star anise to a tea infuser ball. I sometimes will add a whole nutmeg or grind it fresh on top.
Drink warm and feel better soon!
Hot Toddy FAQ
Absolutely! You can make a virgin hot toddy by replacing the whiskey with hot water or tea. Adjust the honey and lemon to taste. Add apple cider, more sweetener, or other citrus fruits.
Tea is a great way to customize this recipe and add a layer of flavor and warmth to your Hot Toddy. Brew a strong cup of your favorite tea (black tea, green tea, or herbal tea) and then replace a portion or all of the hot water with the brewed tea.
Yes, you can use your preferred type of whiskey, whether it’s bourbon, Scotch, or another variety. Choose one that complements your taste.
More Drink Recipes
- Irish Coffee
- Traditional Fire Cider
- Coffee Mate Italian Sweet Cream
- Smoked Old Fashioned
- Peppermint Espresso Martini
Whether you’re seeking comfort from cold winter nights or need a warm drink to soothe your sore throat, I hope this timeless recipe warms you from within and prepares you for a good night’s sleep. Cheers!
If you make this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you would give it a star rating and leave your review in the comments! If you have a picture of your finished dish, post it on Instagram using the hashtag #laurenslatest and tagging me @laurens_latest.
Hot Toddy Tea Recipe for a Cold
- In a heat-resistant glass or mug, combine whiskey, honey, lemon juice and hot water.
- Stir until honey is dissolved.
- Place whole cloves into a lemon slice (so you don't swallow them whole!).
- Garnish the beverage with lemon slices (with clove), cinnamon stick and star anise.*
- Drink warm and feel better soon!