This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Creamy Tomato Bisque Recipe is absolutely sinful! Eat with a grilled cheese sandwich or another side dish that you enjoy.
I’m not sure there is a better tomato soup I love more than this Tomato Bisque. This is a recipe that I got from my Mom who got it from a lady at church named Carol Jones. She served it one night at a church event and basically made everyone fall in love with tomato bisque. This soup is filled with lots of veggies, plus butter and cream for good measure and blended to perfection! I like mine a little chunky, but feel free to keep that blender going until it’s completely smooth. Serve with some fresh bread and that’s a delicious dinner.
But first, what’s the difference between soup and bisque?
Technically, soup is a very general term. It can mean broth-based, cream-based, chowders, or bisques. Bisque is a kind of soup, generally creamy, very smooth, and made with some kind of shellfish or roasted/sauteed vegetables. All bisques are soups but all soups are not bisques.
This Tomato Bisque recipe isn’t completely smooth because I like it to have a little texture, but feel free to blend it completely smooth!
Tomato Bisque Recipe
Typically, most tomato soup recipes are one-note and plain and boring, but THIS stuff……..oh my goodness gracious……this is anything but plain and boring. It’s fabulous. I want to bathe in it that’s how good it is. Seriously delicious. I’ve made this only a few times because it is pretty sinful and doesn’t get along too well with my online calorie counter, but it’s well worth it. Eat this with a little-grilled cheese sandwich and you’re in heaven. Or maybe try some homemade crackers?!
This might look like a long ingredient list for tomato bisque, but the flavors here are worth it! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Onions – chopped. Use a yellow onion for a more savory taste while a white onion has some sweetness to it.
- Carrots – I like to sneak in vegetables wherever I can. This is a great addition to this tomato bisque.
- Celery – more vegetables to eat with each bite!
- Tomatoes – which aren’t technically a vegetable but they are still good for you! Try roasting your tomatoes for a richer taste.
- Butter – this is used to saute and flavor those vegetables.
- Flour – this is used to thicken the vegetable, butter mixture.
- Sugar – to sweeten slightly. Don’t worry, we have some savory flavors coming soon.
- Dried Basil – slightly mintier than fresh basil.
- Dried Marjoram – substitute oregano if you don’t have or can’t find marjoram.
- Curry Powder – trust me on this, you are not gonna want to skip out on this ingredient. Curry powder takes this tomato bisque recipe over the top.
- Chicken Stock – to make this recipe vegetarian substitute the chicken stock for vegetable stock!
- Half & Half – you could use whole milk, but after the 1/4 lb. of butter, why would you choose the ‘lighter’ option?!
If tomato bisque isn’t your thing here are some other soups that will knock your socks off: Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles, Cream of Cauliflower Soup, Taco Soup Recipe & Broccoli Cheese Soup.
How to Make Tomato Bisque
Do not be fooled by the fancy name! Tomato Bisque is such an easy thing to make! Hiiiii canned tomatoes. For full details, see the recipe card down below.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Stir in celery, onion, and carrot and sauté until veggies are soft.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir. Not including the half & half and curry powder, mix in the rest of the ingredients, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender (but be really careful! Its HOT STUFF!). Pour blended soup back into the soup pot.
- Stir in half & half and curry powder. DO NOT boil once this has been added! Serve your tomato bisque hot!
Blending Soup Smooth
I really like using an immersion blender. It’s so darn convenient. But when we moved to NYC, I got rid of all my non-essential kitchen equipment so a lucky neighbor got my immersion blender. (This is the one I had and I still sometimes dream about it. Sigh.)
Love Soup? Try these favorites:
- Sweet Potato Curry Soup
- Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Hamburger Soup
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Printable recipe is below! Save save save this recipe, folks. It’s so tasty!
Creamy Tomato Bisque Recipe
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in celery, onion, and carrot and sauté until veggies are soft, 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir until well incorporated. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and cover and simmer 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender (but be really careful! Its HOT STUFF!) until smooth. Pour blended soup back into the soup pot.
- Stir in 2 cups half & half with 1/2 teaspoon curry powder. DO NOT boil once this has been added! Serve hot!