This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Need a fast and easy appetizer that pleases the masses? Try this Salmon Dip Recipe! Made with only three main ingredients in 10 minutes or less, this is certainly one that should be served at your next party. Whether you’re dipping chips, crackers or veggies into this, its sure to have you coming back for more. So so delicious served with Homemade Kettle Chips and Mojito Mocktails.
The *BEST* Salmon Dip Recipe!
Growing up, my Mom made this salmon dip for all the parties she hosted. After all 6 (yes, six!) of her kids were mostly grown or generally self sufficient, her and my Dad would host parties and make sweet and sour meatballs and this salmon dip. I’m sure there were other appetizers there, but those are the two I remember. And whyyyy do I remember them? Because they were my favorite.
After I was grown and married with kids of my own, I remember talking to my Mom over the phone and asking how to make that famous Salmon Dip of hers. Turns out it’s like the easiest thing on the planet to make with only three ingredients. A monkey could make this AND make it taste just as delicious.
Main Ingredients Needed
Believe it or not, this recipe is only three basic ingredients! It’s ridiculously easy and you can do it in a food processor or high powdered blender (as long as it has a damper to get things moving). Apparently, it’s also known as Salmon Cream Cheese Dip, which basically gives the whole recipe away. Ha! Here is what you need:
- Canned Salmon– I know this is a weird ingredient that you would probably never buy otherwise, but I assure you its good. Get salmon packed in water that is boneless. There will always be *some* bones in every can of salmon. Pick out the larger obvious ones, but the small ones that crumble easily in between your fingers are fine to leave in.
- Cream Cheese– use full fat cream cheese that is completely at room temperature. Leave it out on the counter for two-ish hours to get it there. This makes it blend easier and keeps the dip nice and creamy.
- Horseradish– While, again, this isn’t a common ingredient, it certainly adds lots of flavor without adding a ton of kick or heat. I don’t add very much of it (only 1 1/2 tablespoons total) but you can definitely add less or more! It’s totally up to you.
How to Make Salmon Dip | Directions
As long as you have a food processor, you should be good to go for making this recipe! A blender can also work as well, just not as gracefully (since you’ll have to open the lid, stir the salmon dip around and blitz again several times). This is the basic food processor I own. No bells or whistles and it works like a charm…and funnily enough is the one my Mom owns, too.
Step 1: Prep the Salmon
Open all your cans of salmon and drain well. Using a fork, fish through the cans to see if there are any larger bones. You do want to remove any large ones but the smaller, skinnier ones are fine. I like the chicken of the sea brand.
Step 2: Blitz the Dip
In the bowl of a food processor, add the salmon, cream cheese, horseradish, salt and pepper. Add the lid and pulse until the cream cheese is incorporated and the salmon dip looks uniform in color. You may have to scrape the edges of the food processor and pulse a few times to get it to the consistency you prefer.
Step 3: Serve
Spoon the dip into a serving bowl, top with chopped chives or parsley and serve with crackers, chips or veggies. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Salmon Dip
While I have a tendency to serve two or three main appetizers at any party I throw, here are lots of other ideas that are equally as delicious.
- Classic Hummus
- Puff Pastry Pesto Wreath
- Jalapeno Artichoke Dip
- Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Dip
- Non-Alcoholic Moscow Mule (Ginger Beer Mocktail)
Mom’s Salmon Dip
- 15 oz canned salmon 3 cans, boneless and skinless
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons horseradish
- salt & pepper to taste
- Open and drain salmon well. Remove any larger bones. (A few small skinny ones are fine.)
- Empty salmon into a food processor. Add in cream cheese, horseradish, salt and pepper.
- Blitz until mostly smooth and combined. Scrape sides to ensure everything is well blended.
- Scrape into serving bowl and refrigerate covered until ready to serve. Serve with chopped veggies and/or crackers.