This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Pasta Fagioli will become a new staple in your kitchen! A thicker and hearty Italian soup made with pasta, vegetables, beans, and kale.
I’m not sure I’ve fallen in love with a soup quite as quickly as I have fallen in love with Pasta Fagioli. Man, is it good! It’s buttery while still being healthy. It’s hearty without being too heavy. The vegetables go mostly unnoticed because of the pasta and the mom who is heavy-handed with the parmesan cheese. The longer it sits, the tastier and thicker it gets. It makes a great big pot and you’ll be glad because it’s that tasty.
Pasta Fagioli Ingredients
I’ve made this Pasta Fagioli soup willingly three times in the past two weeks to not only test the recipe but because I actually wanted to eat it that many times. Normally, after two go-arounds I’m over it. But not this time. I even gladly shot some step by step photos too! WHO AM I? So here’s what you need to make and be obsessed over this recipe:
- Olive Oil and Pancetta – if you’re in a pinch you can also use bacon instead of pancetta.
- Carrots, Celery, and Onions – these are the vegetables I’m using as the base. They are my trinity in the kitchen most days. 4 cups total!
- Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, and Bay Leaves – the rosemary seems a little odd, but it does make a difference. If you don’t like rosemary, try it in this recipe because it blends really nicely with the basil, oregano, and bay leaves. It’s not overpowering in the least!
- Chicken Stock – I like stock over broth because it’s more flavorful, but if you just have broth use that.
- Salt and Pepper – this seasons the overall soup base! Don’t forget it.
- Diced Tomatoes and White Beans – these are canned and provide a lot of flavor and protein!
- Ditalini Pasta – if you can’t find this type of pasta, buy another type that is short cut.
- Chopped Fresh Kale and Parmesan Cheese – these two ingredients finish off the soup with vitamin-rich kale and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
How to make Pasta Fagioli
For full recipe details see the recipe card down below 🙂
- So, not unlike other Pasta Fagioli recipes, mine starts with pancetta. I found mine at Trader Joe’s. This is four ounces.
- Render your pancetta down in some oil and get a little color on it before adding in the vegetables and spices.
- So, all the veggies and spices are in the pot and you cook them for a few minutes to start softening the veggies and getting as much flavor out of the spices as possible.
- Next, come the diced tomatoes, beans, and chicken stock.
- Also ditalini pasta! Throw that into the mix as well. Along with some salt & pepper. That is important. Cook the Pasta Fagioli soup, stirring every few minutes until the pasta has cooked up and is tasting tender. (Check the back of the pasta box for more accurate cook times.)
Right before serving, throw in some chopped kale (tough stems removed), and just as I promised, a great big pot of Pasta Fagioli soup that will fill you right up.
Parmesan cheese is optional everywhere except at my house. We love cheese. So sprinkle some on and enjoy!
You technically can freeze Pasta Fagioli but be warned that freezing it with cooked pasta is a recipe for disaster!
Instead make the soup ahead of time without the pasta, store in a freezer-safe container (leaving about an inch of space between the soup and the lid to allow for expansion) for up to 3 months. Also, be conscious about how cooked your vegetables are when reheating they are going to cook a little more so I suggest slightly undercooking the veggies.
Defrost in the fridge overnight or by warming on the stovetop. When ready to serve, cook the pasta separately and add to the soup after draining.
Leftover Pasta Fagioli is good for 3 days stored in the fridge, covered. However, after the first day, the pasta becomes a little too mushy for my tastes. So plan accordingly if you want to keep this soup as leftovers.
More Recipes to Try!
- Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- Creamy Green Chile Soup
- Lemon Chicken Quinoa Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles
If you loved Pasta Fagioli you’re going to love my other soup recipes!
Printable recipe card is below, enjoy!
Pasta Fagioli Recipe with Kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 oz pancetta diced
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrot diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- 28 oz diced tomatoes 1 can
- 1 can white beans drained
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale stems removed
- grated parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add in oil and pancetta. Cook to brown and render fat from pancetta, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in onion, celery, carrot, and dried spices. Cook another 3 minutes. Pour in chicken stock, salt & pepper, can of tomatoes, beans and pasta.
- Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer, stirring every 2-3 minutes to ensure the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once pasta is cooked, stir in kale. Taste, adjust seasonings if necessary and serve with parmesan cheese.