This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Tortellini Soup is a super easy vegetarian meal that is packed full of tomatoes, seasonings, and, of course, cheesy tortellini!
My husband LOVED this Tortellini Soup. Like, “are you going to finish your bowl?” loved it. My daughter also loved the cheesy tortellini in there too. It was a nice change from just plain ol’ tomato soup plus it’s hearty and filling….which is hard to achieve when cooking vegetarian.
Tortellini Soup Ingredients
You don’t need much to create this incredible Tortellini Soup! Here is everything you’ll need:
- Olive Oil, Onion, and Garlic – a great soup starts with a great base and these three ensures just that.
- Tomatoes – I used canned diced tomatoes for this recipe, super simple and quick.
- Vegetable Broth – if you are sticking to the vegetarian lifestyle, stick with the vegetable broth. If not, chicken broth will do just as well.
- Sugar – sugar is used to cut some of the acidity from the tomatoes.
- Basil, Oregano, and Bay Leaf – all three of these seasonings give so much depth to the soup.
- Salt and Pepper – and don’t forget to season as you go!
- Cheese Tortellini – you are welcome to buy or even make your own tortellini with different fillings, I stuck with the cheese tortellini because that’s what my kids will eat.
- Parmesan Cheese – I topped the whole thing off with some freshly grated parmesan and some fresh basil too!
How to Make Tortellini Soup
Super simple recipe here. Saute some onions and garlic, add tomatoes, broth and seasonings then simmer. Finally, cook the tortellini and serve! For full details on how to make Tortellini Soup, see the recipe card down below.
In a large pot, saute onion in olive oil until tender. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
Pour in tomatoes, broth, sugar, and spices. Simmer gently until flavorful. Taste and adjust seasonings.
A couple of minutes before serving, pour in tortellini and stir. Once tortellini is puffed, soft, and floating, they are done and you are ready to serve.
Ladle into bowls and top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
Enjoy this tortellini soup recipe as is or spice it up with some fun variations! Here are a couple of ideas:
- Meat: consider adding some protein in the form of Italian Sausage! Simply cook with the onions.
- Vegetables: add kale or spinach in the last couple of minutes of cooking (with the tortellini) until wilted. You could also sneak in some shredded carrots for your kids too!
- Spices: if you are looking for spice, try adding red pepper flakes while cooking your onions. Doing this adds so much warmth!
- Sides: if you don’t want to change the soup, a different way to customize it is to change the sides~ Greek Salad sounds amazing but so does Garlic Bread!
Similar Recipes To Try!
- Italian Herb Baked Cheesy Tortellini
- Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce
- Creamy Tomato Bisque Recipe
- Alphabet Soup
Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 24 oz diced tomatoes I use San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- 10 oz. fresh cheese tortellini
- parmesan cheese + fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- In large pot, saute onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes, broth, sugar and spices.
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes or until flavorful. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 5 minutes before serving, pour in tortellini and stir. One tortellini are puffed, soft and floating, they are done and you are ready to serve.
- Ladle into bowls and top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.