This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The perfect Mexican one-pot wonder dish that hits the table in no time flat! This Chicken Enchilada Bowl recipe is a-maz-ing! Just like having amazing Chicken Enchiladas but in a bowl!
Enchilada Bowl | Made with Chicken!
Behold! 20-Minute Chicken Enchilada Bowls. It’s like the lazy mom’s way of making chicken enchiladas. All the core enchilada ingredients are there, but they’re cooked all together on the stovetop. To keep these on the healthier side, I used only 4 small corn tortillas, went easy on the cheese, added a little bit of olive oil and threw in some zucchini and grated carrot for good measure.
Whatever my daughter doesn’t know won’t hurt her.
Saute the ingredients all together and serve over rice. Overall, I thought these were really good, especially topped with lots of avocado and sour cream. Just make sure you use an enchilada sauce you love. That’s pretty much all you need to know to make this successfully.
FYI- I had some of my pre-made freezer brown rice that I just popped in the microwave right before we were ready to eat and it was the perfect accompaniment. Ready in just minutes, yo! If you have some time, make a big batch of this to get dinner on the table even faster during the week!
Main Ingredients Needed
You are going to find all of the same ingredients you’d find in regular enchiladas in these Enchilada Bowls. Here’s everything you need:
- Olive Oil – used to saute the veggies.
- Onion + Garlic – two basic ingredients that pack in a lot of flavor.
- Zucchini + Carrot – shhh don’t tell my kids I snuck these in. They didn’t even notice.
- Chicken Breast – cubed and cooked. Feel free to use leftover chicken if you have it.
- Diced Green Chiles – this is canned and brings in a great savoriness.
- Salt + Pepper – don’t forget to season as you cook.
- Cumin – this adds that signature Mexican flavor.
- Black Beans – this adds some more protein and texture variation.
- Red Enchilada Sauce – buy store-bought or use my Homemade Enchilada Sauce.
- Corn Tortillas – these are hearty enough to not fall apart in these enchilada bowls.
- Cheddar Cheese – and to top it all off is cheddar cheese! So good!
And to finish off each bowl, top it with whatever your heart desires. Here are a couple of ideas to get you started:
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- rice (for serving)
How to Make an Enchilada Bowl
For full details on how to make an Enchilada Bowl, see the recipe card down below 🙂
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Sauté onion, garlic, zucchini, and grated carrot until they start to become tender, 5 minutes.
Stir in chicken and cook until cooked thoroughly.
Mix in Seasonings + Enchilada Sauce
Stir in green chiles, salt, pepper, cumin, beans, and enchilada sauce. Bring to a quick boil then reduce to low.
Add Corn Tortillas + Cheese
Stir in pieces of corn tortillas and cheddar cheese.
Serve over rice and top with anything your little heart desires.
More Enchilada Recipes to Try!
- Enchilada Casserole
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Red and Green Enchiladas
- Enchilada Stuffed Mushrooms
- Zucchini Enchiladas
- Enchilada Dip
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Pork Enchiladas
Give this Enchilada Bowl recipe a whirl tonight and let me know what you think! Have a great day friends 🙂
20-Minute Chicken Enchilada Bowls
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 large chicken breast cubed
- 4 oz fire-roasted diced green chiles 1 can
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 15 oz black beans 1 can, rinsed and drained
- 12 oz red enchilada sauce I used mild
- 4 corn tortillas sliced
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
any desired toppings:
- sour cream
- cilantro etc.
- rice for serving, optional
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Sauté onion, garlic, zucchini and grated carrot until they start to become tender, 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and cook 3 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- Stir in green chiles, salt, pepper, cumin, beans and enchilada sauce.
- Bring to quick boil then reduce to low.
- Stir in pieces of corn tortillas and cheddar cheese.
- Serve over rice and top with anything your little heart desires.